HybridZ

R 200 breakage

SHANE

I left a stop light at WOT throttle, the car took off and right as i got through the light the rear end blew. This is my second R 200 that has gone out on me. On street tires non the less. :rolleyes: MY question is will welding an R200 make it any stronger, or am i just pissing in the wind here? :confused: i have the diff right now and had planned on having it welded, but i dont want to waste my time.

Thanks, Shane

Were your tires full engaged (ie. not slipping) and was it on smooth pavement? If so what treads were you running? Or was it hopping at all?

Tires did not spin, smooth concrete, BFG drag radials 275/50/15. didn't even stall the thing up. just put it to the floor and when the turbo hit about 20-22psi BAM!! mind you this was not a launch, just taking off from a light.

I really really really really really really really need a Ford 9" under this thing.

Those are some meats for sure. If it never hooked up and just straight snapped, sounds like it was waiting to go. Maybe chryo is the way to go, but I really dunno.

While a C4 rear may cost more, I would bet you'd have a tough time breaking one. Problem is the gear ratios they come with you may not like, and gear replacements are $.

Well this time it was the CV. (car broke at midnight i couldn't look at the damage, all the noise was coming from the rear so figured the diff blew again.)

The bolts that hold the cv to the hub sheared off!! everything looks intact, all i have to do is find some bolts. i doubt all 6 broke, i suspect that a few of them must have rattled loose.

i am still going to have the sipders welded though.

Problem is the gear ratios they come with you may not like, and gear replacements are
i dont know, i want 3.08 gears. the 3.54's are way too steep.

Shane, I believe there is a 3.07 ratio rear for the C4, I forget if it came off the Automagic or what, but I am pretty sure of that ratio existing in stock form. I think there is also a 3.36 or 3.37 but I dont know those rears well enough, I could be smokin' the pipe on that one.

The automatic rear wasn't as strong as the manual trans rears, but probably still good enough especially in a light car. If this was changed in the last era of the C4 (the LT1 years) with rears being the same size I dont know.