HybridZ

Door Panel Question....Help!

tommyboy

Ok, I'm modding my door panels with fiberglass so I can mount some speakers in 'em. Well, I broke off some of the black fuzzy stuff from the top molding that touches the window, and I was wondering if anyone knows where to get some to replace it. I've looked all over the net but the only ones I can find are for the '70-'78 280Z coupes. Could I possibly substitute it with something else?

I thought about using felt, but at a closer look, the original "fuzzy material" is alot thicker (about 1/4 inch) than standard felt (between 1/8 to 1/16 inch thick). It almost looks like the material used in those hobby pipe cleaners (minus the metal wire).

Blackdragon.com

They only have the door trim for 240Z-280Z '70-'78. Again, I've looked all over the net and I can't seem to find anyone whos sells stock or aftermarket "Fuzzy" door trim for the 280ZX 2+2. I found one site that sells 'em 4 the coupe, but the doors on the coupe are shorter. That's why I'm looking to somehow make custom ones.

Hey bud, Ill give u a stright answer. Since some people wanna dont have on. I tried to find some also and had a little luck. I found one at a junk yard and was in good shape. And since I am a little bit anal i wanted to find another onebut could not. I took 2 from a coupe and cut them down to size. I used gorilla glue to keep them together and brushed on some silver paint. When it dried up i went over it with some scotch brite and it came out pretty nice. sorry i dont have any pics. but iif u go slowly and let everything dry up right. I promise u it will work. Oh a vice might come in handy to hold it 2gether. If u do it let me know how it went. Ill try to get a pic of it but its kinda hard to see the fix.

Good Luck

Hey bud, Ill give u a stright answer. Since some people wanna dont have on. I tried to find some also and had a little luck. I found one at a junk yard and was in good shape. And since I am a little bit anal i wanted to find another onebut could not. I took 2 from a coupe and cut them down to size. I used gorilla glue to keep them together and brushed on some silver paint. When it dried up i went over it with some scotch brite and it came out pretty nice. sorry i dont have any pics. but iif u go slowly and let everything dry up right. I promise u it will work. Oh a vice might come in handy to hold it 2gether. If u do it let me know how it went. Ill try to get a pic of it but its kinda hard to see the fix.

Good Luck

That's a really good idea! The chrome trim isn't broken on my door trim tohough, just the fuzzy. And I finally found a site that carries the aftermarket ones. For anyone who wants some, the site is http://www.zcarsource.com/. They said that it won't fit EXACTLY because the 280ZX has a slight curve in the door, but if you're lookin to replace the fuzzy part only and not the whole trim, you can take the old one out and put the new one in. The guy also quoted me a price of $13.37 a piece. Hope this helps anyone else who's lookin!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I FINALLY finished my door panels. Werll, I told ya I'd take some pics when I got done, so here they are.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

These were taken after I made the holes for my speakers and reinforced the door where the fiber board is riveted onto the metal hanger.

07.jpg

06.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

04.jpg

And these are the finished products. I carpeted them after I fiberglassed because I felt that it went better with the rest of the interior of my car rather than using bondo and painting them smooth. ENJOY!!!

Thankx guys. As an update to my previous questions about the inner door "fuzzies", I got the answer I needed when I mounted the panels onto the doors. With the panels carpeted, you can't put the inner door chrome trim on because it interferes with the windoiws rolling up and down. However, the GOOD thing about not installing them on a carpeted panel is that the carpet itself acts as a inner door "fuzzy" trim, lining up with the window perfectly, and also giving the panel a more "streamlined" look. Again, THANKX A LOT for all of the help and input guys!!!!!!!