HybridZ

VIDEO Z31 turbo ss tranny instal

big-phil

You are going to love the Z31 tranny then. I just had my Z32 rebuilt after losing the 2nd gear synchros back in June 2008. I've been doing the 1st-3rd skip for 9 months.

Very short, crisp throw, almost too short. You sometimes wonder if you are in gear. :lol:

You are going to love the Z31 tranny then. I just had my Z32 rebuilt after losing the 2nd gear synchros back in June 2008. I've been doing the 1st-3rd skip for 9 months.

Very short, crisp throw, almost too short. You sometimes wonder if you are in gear. :lol:

that's what I noticed shifting it in the garage. Feels very short.

Hey Phil,

Sweet job on the swap, good to see somebody putting the z31 trans in there I had a lot of people ask about it but didn't have any answers.

Your definitely not stepping on my toes making them. I didn't plan on making any more. Although with that being said if I have five people that will commit to buying them I will do another run no problem. I just had demand severely taper off and didn't sell any for a couple months...actually traded parts for my last one to get it gone!

I have been thinking about making one that does not require machining. It would involve a single 360deg steel plate and a flywheel spacer. And also a z33 adapter to go to 6psd... but I haven't done any measurements yet, I do have a spare z33 trans laying around though.

I know there is nothing to stop people from doing it, but I do have a problem with people copying somebody's part. Taking the measurements and designing it yourself is one thing, but having a machine shop copy a part is another thing! That just my opinion though and I would personally never do it I think its a bad as stealing.

If you watch the video, I believe he said he does and even takes a few seconds in the video to show it.

Actually, he says that Garrett had to, shows his untrimmed ears, and says "we'll see how that goes." Watching that part of the video is what prompted me to ask in the first place.

Thanks for the info phil. I'm putting my z32 trans in as soon as I can find a place to mill down my bellhousing.

I have been thinking about making one that does not require machining. It would involve a single 360deg steel plate and a flywheel spacer. And also a z33 adapter to go to 6psd... but I haven't done any measurements yet, I do have a spare z33 trans laying around though.

You still have the input shaft and pilot bushing issue to address.

I know there is nothing to stop people from doing it, but I do have a problem with people copying somebody's part. Taking the measurements and designing it yourself is one thing, but having a machine shop copy a part is another thing! That just my opinion though and I would personally never do it I think its a bad as stealing.

I agree 100%.

You still have the input shaft and pilot bushing issue to address

That rides in the flywheel as well, so it might be OK.

The bolts would have to be longer and the stress on them my be greater??

No it doesn't. The pilot bushing is installed in the crank shaft.

The machine shop said they would enter it into their computer using the top 2 bolts as reference, then machine the bell housing from that. Then we got into conversation about Chris's motor, WHP, and if he was going to use the same tranny? To be honest I can't remember if it was me or him that suggested making one for Chris, and anyone else?? The LAST thing I want to do is be accused of "steeling". I just don't need that!

Awesome work! I feel your pain about transmission lifting. I'm not a big guy (5'5" 160) and I've had to pull & install many many different transmissions. Anything from T5's, TKO600s, TH350/400, 700R4, etc But the real pain in the ass is my Bronco's transmission; uses an electric 4 speed OD auto. With tcase, torque converter, and fluid it weighs over 380lbs.

That 5 speed may seem heavy, but you have no idea how good you got it man!

Awesome work! I feel your pain about transmission lifting. I'm not a big guy (5'5" 160) and I've had to pull & install many many different transmissions. Anything from T5's, TKO600s, TH350/400, 700R4, etc But the real pain in the ass is my Bronco's transmission; uses an electric 4 speed OD auto. With tcase, torque converter, and fluid it weighs over 380lbs.

That 5 speed may seem heavy, but you have no idea how good you got it man!

It seems like the big deal is getting the car far enough off the ground? you can't bench it in there, your laying on the ground lift up with your arms over your head:( My shoulders were so sore I had to skip my chest shoulder workout..lol

:icon45: sorry for the miss spell phill it was 4am when i whorte my msg and i just came back from 6hrs riding to get my own Z and on that, 2.5hrs where driving it 2.5 inch straigh exaust without any weather strip getting the exaust smell inside! my dad drove it for 30min and couldnt stand it no more!

:icon45: sorry for the miss spell phill it was 4am when i whorte my msg and i just came back from 6hrs riding to get my own Z and on that, 2.5hrs where driving it 2.5 inch straigh exaust without any weather strip getting the exaust smell inside! my dad drove it for 30min and couldnt stand it no more!

don't worry, my wife calls me Bill all the time also:(

It seems like the big deal is getting the car far enough off the ground? you can't bench it in there, your laying on the ground lift up with your arms over your head:( My shoulders were so sore I had to skip my chest shoulder workout..lol

Next time you have to do this... try using your knees on the bell housing and your chest for the pan, that way you can position and push it onto the studs via the tailshaft by hand. Done way too many that way. Makes it a lot easier once you've done it a few times and get a good pattern for yourself. Benchpressing anything against cement is a horrible idea, bad on elbows, horrible on shoulders (I was injured on Active Duty with my right shoulder, it sucks and once again... I feel your pain), and it won't allow your shoulder blades to properly rotate.

Glad you got it done and that's a neat Z! Lookforward to seeing some more stuff of it!