HybridZ

To weld or to find an LSD?

Mudge

Any road racers want to chime in here? Trans Am series racers use a locker (or at least the Jag team does), but I always thought this was a drag thing. As much as I love suspension I know more about engine junk thanks to my addiction to horsepower (doh).

If I dont go through with an R200 of some sort then the C4 IRS seems like the way to go, but I am still not sure what to do here.

Well, not sure if its a control issue or what, but nobody really seems to give good feedback? I dont doubt that its been handed down for awhile , but likewise I never really considered it because of nobody really suggesting it.

$500 for an LSD unit is not that bad, but $1200-$1500 for a Quaiffe tells me go C4 IRS.

but $1200-$1500 for a Quaiffe tells me go C4 IRS
Excuse my ignorance, but from the detailed write ups I have seen on this site $1200 for a Quaiffe looks like a bargain. The Vette installation has quite of few positive going for it, but cost and ease of installation don't seem to be among them.

Keep in mind the Quaiffes are automatic torque biasing. It puts the torque to the wheel that can best handle it (rather than just minimizing the slippage in the one that can't). And no clutches to wear out so it is maintanence free. The vette installs really tears up your car (IMO).

Thanks for the feedback Jim, I will try to keep my feet on the ground here. Yes, custom stuff will cost money, then coil overs, but the thing is strong and lightweight, and parts are readily available.

It could be in some sense (probably) in the back of my head I'm dropping serious cash for one little part, instead of a bunch of big parts. Plus having a 5 lug wheel would be nice, but then I'm stuck with 4 lug fronts :( hmmm...

I could however then get 17x9.5" or so rear 5 luggers which would be rockin.

The other problem with welded diffs is that they make the car a PITA to maneuver in tight spots. After loading/unloading the car from trailer--> garage a few dozen times you will really get to hate them! I can't remember the number of times we had to put a jack under the diff to get the car from one place to the next.

I think I'll pickup a Quaife for the R200 that I have now, it looks like the way to go, although a lighter C4 would be nice the gearing would have to be changed, and maybe more hassle and swearing than I could readily stand right now.

I dont know if the product is still MADE, but it is listed on the Quaife site as a $1245 part, so I have no idea how people are getting $1600 for it, unless it is indeed only listed for historical purposes. Its about $45 less for the R180 part.

If I remember, it cost me around $300 to have it installed. They don't just "drop in," but require careful shimming and alignment--and considering your initial investment, it's not something you probably want to do yourself. I would say that RossC's $1600 is on the low side considering the service supplied.

Mudge, you'll love the Quaife if you do many track events. I couldn't believe the difference it made in my car, no more lighting up the inside tire, much easier to use the throttle to rotate the car, and very smooth putting power down out of the turns. Pricey but worth it. A little over $1200 is the cheapest I've seen them, and Ross's complete setup deal is pretty good.

John

Stock rear, I road race, and I want limited slip. However, I am not positive the gearing is stock, because if my TACH is accurate, then I'm doing 3400 RPM in 5th with 195/60 15s on an early 5 speed (70MPH).

If my guages were to be accurate I'd just about have a 3.90 or 3.70 already, which I am doubtfull of but I dont know.

• 3 weeks later...

I run a welded diff(R200/3.90). I use the car for road racing only. I don't think I would do it on a car that sees street use as it does scrub the tires and clank some when going slow and turning sharp, like in the pits. On the track I love it and have no regrets. As someone mentioned it does give a little more push in the slower turns but that's easily fixed by softening the front/stiffening the rear, and the extra traction on corner exit more than makes up for it. I've run it for over 7 yrs with out any problems or regrets. As for the viscous, I've read in an old Grassroots Motorsports mag that when used in road racing they create to much heat, more than the clutch types making the clutch type are a better choice of the two.

you were mentioning the fact that you wanted 5 bolt hubs. Ross at modern motorsport does a 5 bolt conversion on your rear stub axles. then you have pick up some front hubs from a 84-89 300zx turbo. they are 5 bolt and the hubs take the same bearings as the 70-89 z. the only thing i'm still checking out is which bearing seal is needed. i just found my hubs and was lucky enough to get a pair of brembo vented and drilled rotors with them for $35 CAD.

Guest Anonymous

If you had the 3.90, you would easily be looking at 4200-4400 rpm at 70, atleast thats what mine produces... I hate it for that reason (but it rockets of the line like a bat out of hell) ;)