HybridZ

Axle Stop MM Q45 Diff Problem

EvilC

Many of you know I am pulling my Z apart to swap into another Z. I wanted to go through some of the parts and see how they are holding up after 8k miles. Now I have found something and wondering did I install this backwards or if I my train of thought is correct.

I believe when doing the q45 diff swap, the axles are of equal length from MM. The axle stops are used to keep the axle from coming out of the assemble towards the diff. Well here is what my diff stops look like (diff side):

500877866_fqYwX-XL.jpg

Driver side:

500878168_4L9V4-XL.jpg

Pasn side:

500878070_ygUjL-XL.jpg

Now the driver side marks kinda made sense to me, because if the axle moves around it will hit the stop and there for making the mark we see. Pasn side makes no sense to me! First off, when I was at Watkins Glen...the hard right hand turn out of the bus stop I could hear the axle moving from side to side. If you look at the stop, it looks like the axle was acting like a drill bit and eating away at the material. Confusing to me because I would imaging the stop rotates as does the axle...how could the stop be held stationary while the axle turns "drilling" it? Now I am thinking did I install this backwards?

This is how I have it installed (stop going toward the axle):

500878325_AQ6JW-L.jpg

Or should it be with the stop going towards the diff which I don't think it does:

500878249_JXi6s-L.jpg

Any input would be great, I guess I can try and get in touch with Ross. I just found it weird and wonder if anyone ran into any problems like this.

I have been thinking that the diff points slightly towards the pasn side of the tranny tunnel and maybe..a small maybe.....means that the pasn side axle needs to be slightly shorter? I plan to pull the entire axle down this week and check the other stops (wheel side) and see that they look like.

Thanks!

The end stops are installed with the RAISED portion INSIDE the Q45 housing towards the axle. The end stops should be spinning along with the housing assembly itself, why yours has the marks they do is interesting to say the least :shock:

The MM axles are of equal length, although I never measured mine when I received them.... I still need to fix my passenger side problem I'm currently having, maybe tomorrow ;)

BTW, are your end stops loose fitting inside the Q45 housing???

The end stops are installed with the RAISED portion INSIDE the Q45 housing towards the axle. The end stops should be spinning along with the housing assembly itself, why yours has the marks they do is interesting to say the least :shock:

The MM axles are of equal length, although I never measured mine when I received them.... I still need to fix my passenger side problem I'm currently having, maybe tomorrow ;)

BTW, are your end stops loose fitting inside the Q45 housing???

Thanks for the reply!!!

Ok so I know I am not going crazy:

1. The axles are of equal length

2. The stops are installed the right way

As far as them being "loose", I would have to say yes. Meaning, if I had the entire assembly in my hand:

[axle stop]-----------------[axle stop]

and I turned it over like this:

[axle stop]

l

l

l

l

l

l

[axle stop]

the bottom axle stop would fall out. Now comes the question, is that a problem? I figured if the cv end and hub end of the diff were bolted together then this shouldn't be a problem. Also this wouldn't explain the marks and how did the pasn side become so bad! :icon56: Did what I say make sense? It seems like the pasn side axle stop, stopped moving and got drilled by the axle. Is yours loose?

Mine would fall out the same way ! I went to a local hardware store and had four 3mm rubber o-rings made (2 per axle). I'm going to put them on top of the end stops inside their lip and sandwich them in between the Q45 housing and their coresponding flanges to help put some tension on the end stops so they don't move out those 3mm or so. The rubber o-rings will fit inside this lip here:

Q45_Lip.JPG

Man that one stop looks beat to hell! The only way for it to have those spin marks are if it's actually spinning inside the housing, at a different rate than the whole axle unit.

What on earth made all the gouges and nicks along the outer edge of that stop?

Start with question above.....well back in the day when I put the car together. Someone (I) forgot to tighten down the 6 bolts on the driver side cv...so while shaking the car down...the axle and cv came apart...and the stop went flying down the highway. While searching for it down the highway I found $20 that help pay for the tow back to the shop :mrgreen:

Ok, to address the stop and axle spinning at different rates...please someone check my engineering logic here:

Pasn side wheel:

Under load, the rear wheel would move upward, this would cause the axle to change its angle relative to the stop that stays vertical, this in return would have the axle move inward toward the stop hitting it at an angle. Besides hitting it and making a mark, the axle and stop are spinning at differnt angular speeds due to their angle to the y axis. The axle, I am logically trying to reason here is spinning faster than the stop and cv joint diff side. Does that make sense? Does the outter wheel rotate faster than the cv joint on the diff? Wish I could draw what my mind is showing me. Let me know what you guys think.

That o ring idea is great! I still wonder if it helps with my above idea? I think the stop after a while is more "stuck" to the diff cv and spinning at that speed and not the axle speed.....follow me? Sorry if what I say sounds out of wack.

All the parts spin at the same speed but what I think happens is that the angle between the stop and the shaft changes as the suspension moves and causes the scuff marks. This set up will make some noise on the track. If you have done a track event and the axel has not pulled out of the CV's, it's not going to.

Put it back together and don't worry about a few scuff marks. You should see my end stops. Yours look pristine when copmared to mine.

All the parts spin at the same speed but what I think happens is that the angle between the stop and the shaft changes as the suspension moves and causes the scuff marks. This set up will make some noise on the track. If you have done a track event and the axel has not pulled out of the CV's, it's not going to.

Put it back together and don't worry about a few scuff marks. You should see my end stops. Yours look pristine when copmared to mine.

Pristine!!! :mrgreen:

How bad did yours look? Did you have plenty of metal shaving in your axle boots? My rear does make some noise at the track like you said but 1 tuff z who is running the EXACT setup has no noise...:icon56: I am going to take some measurements and probably have the faces of the stops machined down. Also I am going to check and see if the c clip came off the axle.....maybe it is time to get some input from Ross. I am pm him this thread.

Before you cut down the faces of the stops, put it together without the boots on the cv's. Grab the axel and move it from side to side. See how far the guts move and make sure they wont come out of the housing.

• 1 year later...