HybridZ

Yet Another LSD Question

RB26powered74zcar

They are not complicated as you noted, but reasonably precise. Have you measured backlash on the two before disassembling? The Nissan shop manual tells how to R&R the carrier and the availability of shims to adjust backlash and pinion depth. If you are just chaniging the carrier, life is much easier than having to set pinion depth. I don't see any reason to change bearings as they last virtually forever. Inspect them for wear/heat damage however. The manual calls for something like .013 t0 .018 backlash (don't quote me on that, I'll double check for sure if you want.) which is "loose" compared to other diffs I have serviced. Note that the carrier should fit with a .010 or so interference into the case. This preloads the carrier bearings.

I'm interesting in seeing your pics if the shims are laid out the same as mine. It looks like one side uses one large shim and one small. I think the larger one may be used on either side depending on what gear ratio the diff has, and the smaller ones actually are used for setting backlash.

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous
The PG powerbrute is made by Tochigi Fuji. Who also makes the Reider Racing diff. Who makes the Nissan diff. Who makes the NISMO diff. Who makes the CalMini diff. And none of them can get it... Calmini quotes $449 and Reider $519. Either way' date=' I would be willing to spend that. Neither can get it. I've been on the Reider backorder list for 9 months (May of last year).

[/quote']

Any word if this piece is still on a backorder?

Thanks!!

10 or 12 mm is pretty much a non-issue IMHO' date=' I've yet to hear of a ring gear bolt failure so have no fear of using 10mm setups......I'll make appropriate bushings for anyone in need when that time comes. Just an option and quite a simple one.

[/quote']

How much would a set cost?

Thanks Ross.

• 3 weeks later...

On another thread we figured out that 12mm OD 10mm ID tubing can be cut for the bolt spacers. Mat73GNZ did this, and I just got a set of spacers from him. Haven't used them yet, but he said they worked fine on his diff.

If anyone needs some you might want to contact him. Not sure how much material he has, but it's the easy way out of that situation.

Jon

The manual calls for something like .013 t0 .018 backlash (don't quote me on that, I'll double check for sure if you want.) which is "loose" compared to other diffs I have serviced.

I know this backlash thing is an old post from Feb of last year, but here's what I just found.

Just measured my new used diff and it was .007 backlash. I know the diffs that run backwards in the front of a 4x4 are set looser on the backlash.

.007 is more "usual" for a backlash setting.

Jon

Guest zline

As far as where the diff came from

Some of the early production runs of the 87-89 (namely 87 to about 87.5) Z31 turbos which came with the clutch type have a 10mm gear

no problem

all you'd need to do as stated before is shim it with a reduction sleeve.

as far as carrier swapping

as long as you get that shim

an r200 carrier as an r200 carrier!!

I would slap that sucker into a 200SX T one and get a 4.11 R&P!!