HybridZ

JCI Passenger Side rubber mount

Well after 8k miles on the Z I found that my passenger side rubber mount from JCI was broken:

496857133_LPby2-XL.jpg

I called up JCI, thinking that maybe I mounted it wrong and could get a decent answer for why this could have happened...not putting blame on them at all. Well the answer I got was because I track the car and use the motor to stop the car helped shorten the life of the mount:icon56: So I bought another mount ( just the rubber part you see broken ) for $14.50 from JCI. I also asked for another book because I thought maybe I missed something the first time and I caused the mount to break. Anyway, I was charged $15for the book! This is after John looked up and saw that I bought the kit already back in 06. This was pretty much the last straw because 2 years ago when I filled out all the paper work needed when buying the kit...JCI sent me the wrong trans mount ( for a 280) and would take it back but I had to pay shipping back to them for there mistake!

Anyway the reason for this thread.....if your mount breaks like mine did or becomes worn you can go to your local parts store and get a 64-68 Chevy Malibu motor mount...driver side or passenger side! $5.50 at my local store:

Here are a few pics to compare the two...

Left is from my parts store.....Right is from JCI

506388959_if9kw-XL.jpg

506389950_EhHPf-XL.jpg

506389483_LohuL-XL.jpg

Yeah they look like just a standard SBC mount. I am running energy suspension ones on my 68 firebird. Alot of people run solid mounts with thier swaps.

Are the solid mounts a lot better than the standard ones I am running? Reason I ask, I have no knowledge of how they "poly" engine mounts effects the car. Like a poly bushing in the suspension gives you a stiffer ride...does the poly engine mount help with any kind or vibration? Thanks

Are the solid mounts a lot better than the standard ones I am running? Reason I ask, I have no knowledge of how they "poly" engine mounts effects the car. Like a poly bushing in the suspension gives you a stiffer ride...does the poly engine mount help with any kind or vibration? Thanks

To answer your question, the poly and solid mounts are what I refer to as "vibration enhancers", as they transmission WAY more vibration throughout the car. This is good if you are looking for a little annoying buzz in the interior that you can't track down, as you can just put in stiff engine mounts and that little buzz will be a loud buzz!! Never found any reason to use anything but rubber in a street car, but a dedicated track car is just fine. Just my experience!!