HybridZ

Starting L28ET issue.

superduner

So me and my cousin are trying to get this puppy started. the engine cranks good and smooth. : however it doesn't seem to want to turn on and if anyone has any experience with these your help would be greatly appreciated.

we have replaced all of the vacuum hoses with new ones.

replaced cooling fluid

replaced cooling/water hoses

the mass airflow sensor works. (put in the one from my cousins RUNNING l28et (Stock) )

hot wired a STOCK 280zx fuel pump (and it works and pumps gas)

new ngk spark plugs.

there is definitely spark going to all sparkplugs (tested)

firing order is correct ( referred to my cousins L28et and compression checked)

there is FUEL

there is power to the injectors

it seems like everything is as it should be to start up. we've reached a screeching halt after replacing alot of crap and wonder whats wrong with it. so i came to the forums to get help since the engine will most likely be put in a 72 z i get in the nearby future. so i want to get it running

please HELP me get this TURTLE back to life :)

0327091726.jpg

no no no of coarse obviously i tested it with battery. DUH! lol this is just a picture of the engine after a few mods when we got the car.. like removal if injector fan cooler. and all these other things that got in the way that wont be necessary for the powerplant transplant into the 72 Z like the wiper containers and lines. AC lines ETC ETC ETc BTW i got ZX parts if anyone wants to buy any or neesd any MAKE ANY OFFER :P as for the grounding in the car. i will add a custom ground from block to strut tower just incase and to be sure.

the mass air flow was installed correctly as it was in the reference 240z L28ET powered Z we got. and still no luck. the timing is located almost if not exactly where the reference Z is on so if at all it should TRY to make it seem like it wants to turn on. but nothing either.

how can i make sure the ground terminals from the injectors are grounded right ? both wires on the injectors seem to have power (according to the test light)

THANKS a bunch for the help so far guys youre guiding me to the right direction.

NEWSFLASH!

today i went at it again. i plugged up the ZX's ecu on the 240z turtle and it started (with some trouble at first since im sure the ecu needed to reset) but it started nonetheless so by that the ECU WORKS.

so to be scratch ECU off the list of possibility error. i plugged the 100% working 240z turbo ecu on the ZX

adding to the list i got a ground cable and bridged the block to the chassis. (literally) so the ground has to be good now.

i sprayed some starting fluid and the sucker wanted to turn on. it really did for about 2 seconds. but im sure it was just the starting fluid doing its thang. i checked the spark plugs after a few trial and errors. and about 3 seemed to have some burn in them yet the other 3 seemed ALOT cleaner as in. NEW..... so im thinking no gas is going in those. i cleaned the injector connections with sandpaper and screwdriver to clean terminals. and with a test light checked the clips if they had power and all lines have power. i connected injector clips back on and its ready to try again. and i clipped i got the timing to a spot where it almost wants to turn on by itself sometimes. but with help of starting fluid.

right now im waiting for the battery to get charged up again at KRAGEN :) since the battery is low it doesn't turn the engine no more.

If it doesn't want to start after the injector conection clean up and some of the other ♥♥♥♥ i tested. then im pulling off the injectors and rail and checking if they spray outside of the car.

how much pressure should the fuel pump be putting out ? or where do i hook up the FP gauge ?

Newsflash #2....

well the car seems to be able to stay on for like 1.5 or 2 seconds with starting fluid however it still kind of wants to start by itself but it DOES'NT. so i narrowed it down to GAS issues.

i got the battery back and threw it on. i removed the fuel rail and injectors and layed it ontop of the engine and plugged the fuel lines and cranked it. to my surprize only injector #6 spits gas. im not sure if its supposed to spit ALOT or not but it seemed kind of a weak sauce spray to me. but it spits none the less. as for injectors 1-5 NOTHING. all 6 injector clips have power so they should be spitting gas if the injectors were good RIGHT ? :/ or what else could it be given the information i've provided.

anyone know what replacement injectors are good that will fit STOCK? will NA zx injectors do the job good ? as there are plenty of those in junkyards.

If the car sat for a while, you will get the exact injector symptom you get.

I've started many an injected Z that sat for years and just did it yesterday on a fuel injector rail that sat for 4 years.

In my case, the car was only injecting on 1 cylinder and I kept it running by spraying into a vacuum barb. (careful not to wash down cylinder walls)

I ran it long enough to let the engine get some warmth and let it sit for a few minutes to let conduction bring heat to the injectors.

When I restarted, I had two injectors actually injecting fuel and didn't need to spray anymore but had to keep the throttle open.

Eventually it was 3, then 4 and then 5....etc.

Heat will unstick a gummed up injector.

If you have one firing injector, you should be able to listen to it with a screwdriver on your ear and compare it's sound to the ones that aren't firing and make a distinction but I would also make sure the injector terminals are making good contact first since this is an issue many have.

If the car sat for a while, you will get the exact injector symptom you get.

I've started many an injected Z that sat for years and just did it yesterday on a fuel injector rail that sat for 4 years.

In my case, the car was only injecting on 1 cylinder and I kept it running by spraying into a vacuum barb. (careful not to wash down cylinder walls)

I ran it long enough to let the engine get some warmth and let it sit for a few minutes to let conduction bring heat to the injectors.

When I restarted, I had two injectors actually injecting fuel and didn't need to spray anymore but had to keep the throttle open.

Eventually it was 3, then 4 and then 5....etc.

Heat will unstick a gummed up injector.

If you have one firing injector, you should be able to listen to it with a screwdriver on your ear and compare it's sound to the ones that aren't firing and make a distinction but I would also make sure the injector terminals are making good contact first since this is an issue many have.

I'm having the exact same problem as the OP and am curious as to see how this shakes out. I'll try this tip as well seeing as how the L28et in my car was sitting for at least 8 months.

I had this issue as well but it was at the coil. Unplug the electrical connection to the ignitor on the coil, mine is on the bottom side if the coil points to the front of the car, and it will be towards the front of the car if the coil points up. But there is a black plug or connector with two female spades that unplugs from the coil, you sometimes can simply unplug then re-connect and will start. but after a few times of this it was simply time to clip the conector, get a couple new (red) female spades and voila! I hope it is this simple for you. Either way it worth trying.

By the way the wire colors were, one black and one yellow, at least on my '83 turbo.

I'll be installing some injectors that sat for 4 years tomorrow as well.

I'll let you know how they panned out.

I pulled the rail on a car that was still warm and quickly hooked one of the fuel hoses from the supply to the return line keeping fuel in the whole works.

The fuel comes out a few years later not really smelling as old as you would think probably because there is no space for the more aromatic elements within the fuel mix to evaporate out.

I've heard of people "unsticking" their injectors by connecting a 9v battery for a short bit over and over again until they click.

Key wording: short bit. I think the injectors run at 5-6vs so it's not a good idea to keep the battery connected long, as you'll burn up the solenoid.

yeup just to be safe tough aftet a bit of research i think im going to head out to the local junkyard for some Z31 Turbo injectors. if you ask me they SHOULD be newer and in better shape. but then again il make sure i check the car's condition first etc etc. hopefulyl these put out at least a little bit MORE gas than the 280zx's CC's slight power gain perhaps :P but i think they're the same injectors. hopefulyl this fixes this mess and can get this engine runnin on the donor ZX to later transplant it after a few engine mods to a 72 Z il keep you guys posted :)

ahhhhh DARKNESSSSSS!!!!!!! i got the turtle started today! threw on all 12 new 84 Z31 turbo injectors i got from ecology for the OUTRAGEOUS price of $2 wink.gif (ohh and may i add that the cars i got them from had literally NEW! emissions everything..... must've had problems with smog and owner replaced everything under the hood :P lmao) , and cranked that soulja turtle and started (with the help of some starting spray) at the begging. idled smooooth as a baby butt. no smoke whatsoever. NEXT STEP. bleed all the fluid lines or whatever. water & oil changed after a few more days of running the engine. i got a video of it but idk how to load it up. :P

cause you never know when you're gonna need spares.. PLUS! my cousins 240z turbo (l28et) has TOO big of injectors and it floods when he steps on it hard. so he might downgrade to these injectors since his car is almost stock xept for some mods. :) thought ahead of the curve