HybridZ

My new intake Plenum.

drews240

Looks like the Kinetix Piece, which I believe doesnt give very good results over the plenum spacers / larger top plenums. The plenum volume looks pretty small and I would worry about the equal distribution of air between the six cylinders.

Looks pretty slick though great craftsmanship, ill be curiously awaiting the results.

Looks like the Kinetix Piece, which I believe doesnt give very good results over the plenum spacers / larger top plenums. The plenum volume looks pretty small and I would worry about the equal distribution of air between the six cylinders.

Looks pretty slick though great craftsmanship, ill be curiously awaiting the results.

Look closer please, the other mentioned intake is not round it has corners and there is not a problem with the cylinders getting equal air.

I will be posting the results as soon as we have them.

Cheers

Drew

I honestly don't think that the roundness has much to do with it, its how the air enters and is dispersed, check out the overall idea of Monzter's plenum, and most aftermarket designs, they tend to lend towards a angled TB and a taper plenum for a reason. Im not knocking your design, and Im not saying it wont work (because it will) Im just throwing stuff out there.

Im my opinion though it looks like you LOST intake volume and flow over stock..not that the factory intake does it the best possible but it is designed for even distribution..large plenum, centered tb inlet and tapered camber. It has velocity stacks and smooth entry into the chamber..the main problem seems to be the volume and youve cut that down prolly by 1/2..............your going to be FI too so this isnt going to matter as much as a N/A motor though. Will you be providing N/A dyno comparisons or FI?

Anyway when I go about it Ill prolly be taking the ported AE lower plenum route. But on that note did you make any more flanges for the intake?

Supercharger is going to be sick for sure, I love that setup. Im halfway tossing around the idea of doing a supercharger on mine instead of turbo as Im not really shooting for that much power.

I honestly don't think that the roundness has much to do with it, its how the air enters and is dispersed, check out the overall idea of Monzter's plenum, and most aftermarket designs, they tend to lend towards a angled TB and a taper plenum for a reason. Im not knocking your design, and Im not saying it wont work (because it will) Im just throwing stuff out there.

Im my opinion though it looks like you LOST intake volume and flow over stock..not that the factory intake does it the best possible but it is designed for even distribution..large plenum, centered tb inlet and tapered camber. It has velocity stacks and smooth entry into the chamber..the main problem seems to be the volume and youve cut that down prolly by 1/2..............your going to be FI too so this isnt going to matter as much as a N/A motor though. Will you be providing N/A dyno comparisons or FI?

Anyway when I go about it Ill prolly be taking the ported AE lower plenum route. But on that note did you make any more flanges for the intake?

Supercharger is going to be sick for sure, I love that setup. Im halfway tossing around the idea of doing a supercharger on mine instead of turbo as Im not really shooting for that much power.

I have a VQ in my NA Z as well so we will do the comparison NA and FI in the G race car, When we make the new ones I will take photos of the inside as well as they are done as velocity stacks, my idea behind less corners was smooth flow. All in all the testing needs to be done, minimum it will be better than stock.

have been following your project as well and it is extremly well done and detailed. Hats off.

Drew

I've wondered a lot on all these new manifolds, Why are they all still fed from ont end? either the rear or the front. that would seem that you have a longer distance from the throttle plate to in this case, cyl 1. and shortest to cyl 6. thus starving #1 for some air, where if you built this similar to a tight exhaust header, intake from the center between #3 and #4, with equal length tubes, to all cyl in a radius, you'd concievably have better flow. It's likely only going to be a very tiny improvement, but I still don't understand why someone hasn't tried it.

All in all that supercharger setup looks niiice!, I need to look into superchargers for HR engines... it would be interresting to see #'s...

Phar

There is a local guy that does flow testing, once we have done the NA and SC comparisons with the 2 intakes will see if it is worth it to have it done.

In the case of side or front loading the tube it is a case of hood clearance, you also want to consider torque when making your runners.

We will see soon enough.

Thanks for the kind comments about the work.

Drew

hmm Maybe flatter oval shaped intake tubes. or perhaps even a dual intake setup like on the HR. though that makes supercharging difficult. or at least more expensive.

A Front intake plenum for the VQ would be so much nicer to have, as far as installing it into other vehicles. 240z/sx etc

Here's some of our plenims, fed from the front and tapered to the rear, same as on our world record RB30, we get very even flow and fuel trims between cylinders is almost non existant, be interesting to see how you get on with testing yours.

dougsfinishedproducts00.jpg

sparksfinishedpaintedpa.jpg

jeffscarincontainer003.jpg

rips240z4androtarynatss.jpg

***Image deleted*** :nono:

Edited by BRAAP
Keep the posting PG! guys!

It seems that with an end on plenum, like the RIPS and Federal ones above, the throttle body inlet angle is very important. Tapering the plenum like the RIPS one not so important. but of course may still be relevant and obviously is so with the RIPS design.

As a general observation the throttle body inlet needs to point towards the far end of the plenum, certainly not towards the nearest cylinder. As I said, a general observation, but concerning plenums that have been flow tested for even distribution.

The Federal one is a bit difficult to see as to TB inlet angle but it appears to point towards the far end, to some degree anyway. So I would not give up on it just yet :)

Wow them is some sexy plenums, especially that last one. Hopefully they all go fast.. :wink: Anyhow, I really like the RipsNZ design now can that be made into a V6 version with ports below for the VQ? if would certainly fix my hood clearance issues if it was that low profile. Very interresting... for a HR version, it could have inlets at both the front and the rear. or maybe Y inlets from the front in oval pipe. damn that would be sexy... I need to learn to weld aluminum.

Phar

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Here's some of our plenims, fed from the front and tapered to the rear, same as on our world record RB30, we get very even flow and fuel trims between cylinders is almost non existant, be interesting to see how you get on with testing yours.

dougsfinishedproducts00.jpg

sparksfinishedpaintedpa.jpg

jeffscarincontainer003.jpg

rips240z4androtarynatss.jpg

***Image deleted*** :nono:

Nicely design Intake Manifold.