HybridZ

Re-badged 280z - comments encouraged

misterZ

Hey guys (northern for y'all),

I re-badged my 280Z when I added the (MSA) GT side stripes and looking for some constructive criticism. I held out for a new set of 240Z fender badges and also replaced the 'Datsun' hood emblem with the 'Z' emblem--only for the simple fact I liked the 'Datsun' grill emblem which I believe is from a D-21 P/U (not sure).

.....Edit: picture hyperlink

280Z_badged.jpg

280Z Re-Badged

(Click on image to view larger)

The Florida sun was very bright today (bad for pictures) so you can't make out the 'Z' hood emblem but the grill badge shows Ok. Tell me what you think... did I over do it? The next add is the vented inspection lids from MSA that will be painted black to match the hood vents. (guess I'll have to change my sig again... ha) I also plan to get 'Z' center caps to replace the ARs.

Thanks,

Did you rebadge it as a 240Z? I can't see the sides well in the picture.

Mat,

I think he was talking about he added a 280Z sticker by the hood vent.

Z_graphics.jpg

IMHO the MSA GT stripe side stickers look good, I'm on the fence with the hood 280Z stickers. The Datsun 240Z fender badges look great never thought of that one... very creative. :2thumbs:

Mat,

I think he was talking about he added a 280Z sticker by the hood vent.

IMHO the MSA GT stripe side stickers look good, I'm on the fence with the hood 280Z stickers. The Datsun 240Z fender badges look great never thought of that one... very creative. :2thumbs:

Actually, I forgot about the 280Z hood vinyls... I too am on the fence about them. I had originally thought of running a euro off-set black racing stripe (wide+narrow) the entire length of the car but was told it was too much and besides, the hand-painted pinstripes would be 'in the way' and wouldn't look right. My intent was the wider of the euro off-set stripes would fall across the vent w/ enough width to change the 280Z hood graphic on that side white (on black)... <--- cheesy(?).

Thanks on the fender badges! I may have got ripped off (new $65./pr shipped) but was adamant about the 240Z fender badges w/ the side stripes.

I was looking for comments on the grill badge as well... you have to click the members link to see it full size for a closer look. I'm kinda on the fence w/ that too:

.....Edit:

badge_grill.jpg

Grill Badge

Click on image to view larger

very tasteful. What you did was good. Not like other ricer things people do

:2thumbs:

Thanks man!

One other note about the 280Z hood stickers: they will probably come off when I install the vented inspection lids (painted black?) from MSA.

picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=291

Did you rebadge it as a 240Z? I can't see the sides well in the picture.

You need a 240/early 260 Bumper if you have 240 badges on it!

Click on the 'here' link in the original post to see blown up... yea, I was leaning towards the 240Z bumpers and I'm almost certain at least for the rear. As for the front it's a coin toss between MSA's Type III or the 240Z bumper w/ CF BRE air dam(?). I also like the BRE spoiler and leaning towards CF for that too... reason: I really don't want to mess with finding a good shop to match the paint so will most likely go with the CF (240Z) BRE look.

The only other rear bumper I like would be the (older/vintage) split corvette bumpers but they're pricey. Btw--not only is this a DD it's also a show car.

I like it! The Datsun fender emblems at least. That's what I am contemplating doing on my 280z. It's between that, or shaving them entirely. I've always thought the 240z fender emblems looked much, much better than the 260z and 280z fender emblems.

In my opinion, what I think would look cleaner is if you removed the Tokico sticker and left EITHER the Datsun fender emblem OR the 280z side stripes. Not sure if I like the 280z on the hood, but there's nothing wrong with it, just comes down to personal preference. It reminds me of the muscle cars with "Hemi" or something for example on the hood.

I like it! The Datsun fender emblems at least. That's what I am contemplating doing on my 280z. It's between that, or shaving them entirely. I've always thought the 240z fender emblems looked much, much better than the 260z and 280z fender emblems.

Thanks! I don't know what possessed Datsun/Nissan to change to 260/280Z(X) fender badges.

In my opinion, what I think would look cleaner is if you removed the Tokico sticker and left EITHER the Datsun fender emblem OR the 280z side stripes. Not sure if I like the 280z on the hood, but there's nothing wrong with it, just comes down to personal preference. It reminds me of the muscle cars with "Hemi" or something for example on the hood.

Granted, I should have put more thought into placement (may be a little too close to the stripes) but like the Tokico graphics:

Z_side_stripe.jpg

280Z side stripes with 240Z fender badges