HybridZ

Took some shots of the Z...

A couple of days ago a friend of mine took some photos of my Z, and I wanted to share them with you guys... see what you thought. Another friend of mine took the last 4 shots with an old medium format film camera, which I am super psyched on.

Only thing that sucks is that I JUST ordered a set of RB-Rs before this, but they didn't arrive in time. Oh well, just gives me an excuse to take more pictures.

http://gallery.me.com/dominic_i#100034&view=mosaic&sel=0

A couple of days ago a friend of mine took some photos of my Z, and I wanted to share them with you guys... see what you thought.

Hi DeLorean:

Looks like a pretty nice 240Z, and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Personally - I love White/Red 240-Z's. Although I have to say that in my opinion, the Libra's are the best looking wheel - if you like period matching stuff on a more or less stock 240-Z.

I still have the original Libra's I purchased for my Blue 72 Z at the end of 1971. I bought them from BRE and still have the invoice. Are you sitting down? As I recall they were $24.95 plus shipping at that point. Today - a really fine, non curb rash set will usually sell for about $75.00 to $85.00 each.

This is the Z I drive on most longer Road Trips - Pretty much stock - but with a 83 ZX 5 spd. to keep the RPM's and engine noise lower in the 80-85 mph range. I love driving this Z on the highways and by-ways of America.

It's Spring - get out on the roads and see America!

FWIW,

Carl B.

White72LeftFrontTN_thumb.jpg

Carl, your car is gorgeous, those libres sure look a lot better than mine, haha. I have the old invoice for my car from the original owner, but it doesn't list the price of the wheels. I'm glad to know both what they sold for and what a good example will fetch, thanks for that info.

barichardson5727:

The bumpers are the MSA fiberglass ones, which offer basically no protection, but hey, they look good.

Hi Guys:

Should we throw in another "wheel' story?

I have a Blue 72 Z that I bought new at the end of 71 - and it has the original set of Libra's on it. The white Z pictured - I'm the second owner of.

I wanted another set of Libra's and found a good used set...no curb rash, good round stud holes etc. Plus they were real American Racing Libra's - not the other knock-offs.

They were very oxidized when received - so I needed to refresh them. Bead blasted them and they looked much better. HOWEVER... being the first set of old aluminum wheels that I attempted to "refresh"..... da.... I made the mistake of Bead Blasting what is supposed to be a polished outer lip/ rim.

No problem - I just had to sand the lip/rim down first - - then again with finer grit - - and finally wet sand them with very fine grit. That had to be followed with lots of polishing...

After a few days of sanding - I was down to the final very fine wet sand step. As I was sanding the wheel - rust started to appear!! Yes red rust - I'd wash it off as I was wet sanding, but it kept coming back.... hummm..... this is strange...

After a few minutes - I realised that it wasn't "rust" - it was blood from my finger tips!! All that sanding had not only taken some aluminum oxide, and Bead Blasted ruffness off - it had taken layers of skin off my fingers!! Took weeks to heal, and I could hardly touch anything without pain!!

Lessons learned...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Haha, great story Carl!

I'm in the autobody trade, and I too will have smooth or rough fingertips depending what I'm working on that week! I definately feel your pain!

Delorean, great looking Z! Post more pics when the new rims are on.