HybridZ

Door locks

Drax240z

Just wondering what you guys have to (if anything) to cure that typical Z problem, of being able to unlock the door with any key, or start the car with any key. :P I guess one option is to replace all the locks in the car, but I am wondering if anyone has done something else a little cheaper. Can you get all 4 things (door locks, hatch lock, and ignition) retumbled for a new key?

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i took all my locks and ignition out and took them to a locksmith and had them retumbled. it was 3.50 per lock and 5.00 for the ignition. works great now. all my locks were really loose inside also and he fixed that for me.

• 4 years later...

At just about any Pick-n-Pull JY, there is a guy set up outside rekeying locks, ignitions, etc. You can go into the yard, pull the necessary pieces, go outside and have him rekey them all to match one key (even the glove compartment). I have done this several times. It is usually less than $10 per lock. Best to bring the key that you want to start with. my .02

After doing a search on " door lock, and door lock removal" and having no luck. I'm going to ask. how do we remove these, it sounds like a good idea to get everything re-keyed for the same one (I need 2 keys to turn the ignition, one to unlock then another to turn) None of the external locks work either.

I'm considering a hammer, but then that would lead to more bodywork....

Pull the door panel, disconnect the little arm that connects to the lock cylinder, slide the big U shaped spring clip out, and push the lock cylinder out of the door. Basically the same for the hatch.

It's been a long time since I've been into the ignition, but IIRC it requires that you pull the clamshell cover, then remove the turn signal and light switches from the column. These are attached with special bolts that break the head off when they get tight, so they are somewhat of a theft deterrent. You can cut a slot in the head with a dremel or you can use a chisel to make a slot in the end of the bolt, then unscrew it with a flat blade screwdriver. Should be pretty self explanatory from there.

I could be wrong on the last bit, you might not have to take the switches off the column. It's been so long I can't say for sure.

• 2 years later...

Yes, they are still available. An automotive locksmith will either have them in stock, or know where to buy them. I'm not trying to make this difficult, but most locksmith supply shops won't sell to the general public. There is a guy on Zcar.com called "ZmanofWashington" that rebuilds them if you send them to him. He's somewhere near seattle if I recall. His prices are a little high, but that's just MY opinion.

I gave up on rebuilding them simply because most of the time when someone would send them to me, they were JUNK, with broken tailpiece retainer parts or just plain worn out, or corroded so bad that bead-blasting them doesn't even help. New locks are too cheap to buy (for the locksmith) to even worry about the old junk. They can be keyed to an existing key and match whatever other locks are on the car.

Warren

• 2 months later...

Well I went to a locksmith and he got me all set up for $10, locks work great.

I also pulled the locks out of my parts car and will be making new keys, taking them to the locksmith to be checked over and then Ill polish them. Once I get them all finished If anyones interested in them pm me.