HybridZ

RB26dett 510 build

Guest datsungirl

Guest datsungirl

Hello all, I've been looking at a few engine swaps to put into my Datsun 510, and I believe I have decided to go with an RB26dett.

Are there known complications in doing this swap?

Any information about these engines and the swap is greatly appreciated.

The car will be used as a track car hoping to make about 650 whp. Does this seem a reasonable option?

thanks in advance.

I've never looked too closely at a 510, but I can imagine the firewall clearance for the I6 is going to be a problem, but since it's a track car, you can just move it back by making your own and modifying whats there.

I must say, that would be a crazy tiny little track car with 650HP..!! wow

i recall people fitting the L2(X) engines in place of the L1(X) engines, so it could work. I will say that a VG30DE into a 510 is tight as tight can be, and the bore sizes of the cylinders are relatively the same as the RB engines... so factor in that the RB is same bore, but longer instead of wider....

Guest 280ZForce

from what I know a stock rb26dett is approx. (L x H x W) 34.25in x 26.18in x 26.57in and this is without extra space needed for radiator and fan(s) of course.

I have a '73 510 I'm building myself but not an RB swap, I just measured the engine bay area and you're looking at 30 3/4" between strut towers and 29" from firewall to front core support.

So length of it will definitely be an issue as the engine will need to be set into the wall a good 7-9" to allow room for the engine itself and a radiator/fan setup.

Width wise, you seem to be ok though, but that could change for better or worse depending on what manifolds and turbo(s) you use.

Height all depends on where and how you mount the engine, too many variables. But I'm guessing you'll be looking at a good 24-28" of available height depending on the course of the hood and how low you mount the engine, etc.

Good info, 280zforce...

I'll add that a 510 would be a screamer with just an RB25DE and some cams and mild port work + header too

...so perhaps you can get away with steering linkages being in a good spot by dropping the turbo idea, working the engine back some, making a shifter linkage adapter, which may need the shifter location hole to be cut around further forward and backwards, raised a couple of inches to allow a linkage, and then closed up to seal out the exhaust or whatever else may make it's way in there...

all that is done so that you don't end up having to move the seats further back either.

a 510 is a car I could see an RB20 in, even though it's not much shorter than its 2.5 or 2.6 brothers, the extra room, cost savings, and other such things you will avoid doing to the car to make things work will contribute to the money left over for engine mods to get you passed the standard RB26 horsepower level.

and really, anything like 300whp in a 510 is enough to have NASA call you and ask why you're gliding through U.S. Air-space on your way to the moon.

An SR20 would be more of a "swap". Putting an RB into a 510 is more like building a car around an engine. Take it from someone who's done it, a 500hp SR20 (or KA24 for that matter) in a 500 series Datsun is more car than 99% of people can handle at full boogie ;)

It's a lot of work putting any inline six in a 510 a 240-280z would be an easier and ultimately cheaper car to put an RB26 in. A friend just bought a 510 with an RB25det , the car with a mildly modified rear suspension is a serious handfull under boost. I would strongly suggest putting a 4cyl or a V6 into a 510 before the RB motor.

That said having driven a 500+ 510 , it's a real ego deflater for muscle cars at the drag strip and Vipers and Porsches on the road.

That said having driven a 500+ 510 , it's a real ego deflater for muscle cars at the drag strip and Vipers and Porsches on the road.

heh... if you haven't already seen it, type "White Zombie" into a youtube search... the world's best ego-vacuum, powered by Li-Ion! LOLOLOL

I think you would spend mega dollars, have mega problems and have a car that would never be able to put down the power, and then kill yourelf.

I wouldnt do an RB26 Z either (having done one), I would go for the SR20 in the 1600 as Matt says, or an RB25 in a Z for the best bang for your bucks

regards