HybridZ

home built twicepipes

Empire

well since I hate doing mailorder, and with the shipping and exchange and all that, I'm making my own pipes.

I had a pacesetter/msa/monza style 3-2 header that was crusty (came with the car and all the other extra parts). So I sandblasted, primed with VHT flameproof coating, and painted with VHT black header paint. ($25 in materials).

Today I was at Crappy Tire and picked up 2 Cherry Bom Glasspacks ($55 for both) that are 2 1/4" inlet and outlet. Also instead of some really fany tips I got this rolled stainless endcap that just pops in there ($22 for both).

So far I've spent about about $100, and all I need now is the pipe to connect it all. Any idea what it should cost? Stainless would be best but is it that much more? I figure with exachange rate and shipping I'd be at over $300 for the MSA stuff, and all the hassle of mail order. Anyone in Toronto that can suggest a place to make me up some mandrel bent pipes?

Hey-

Summit racing sells mandrel bent pipes in different diameters and lengths. They also have it in stainless (not cheap though) as well as mild steel. They also have those new style clamps that you can use instead of welding that work really well to join them together.

Sanitary bends are much nicer than what are offered by vibrant, and any other brands geared toward the automotive industry in my experience. They put the Burns Stainless stuff I've used to shame as well... Polished inside and out, perfect cross sections, perfect fit....

RGL_7950.jpg

RGL_7952.jpg

RGL_7953.jpg

RGL_7954.jpg

RGL_7955.jpg

(Excuse the dust!)

Edited by Drax240z

Went a bit far afield on the original question I realize. If you are looking to do a quick and dirty exhaust system with some cherry bombs these are a bit overkill. You really can't do them justice unless everything attached to them is polished stainless and you are TIG welding everything.

One of the better affordable mild steel bends I've found for exhaust systems come from trucking parts stores. Usually they are a coated mild steel, heavy gauge construction, and pretty decent quality bends. They should hold up well with a coat of paint afterwards, and sizes in the 2.25-3" range are generally in stock. I had an exhaust system on my Z built out of these, and got 8 years out of it, and after that point it was still completely fine, if a little ugly. (could have used a repaint)

Edited by Drax240z

I've got 2.25", 2.5", 2.75" (hard to find elsewhere), 3" and 3.5" at local truck shops in the past. Likely depends on what vehicles the particular shop deals with. Some of the smaller sizes are used for coolant lines I believe.

Edited by Drax240z

I've got 2.25", 2.5", 2.75" (hard to find elsewhere), 3" and 3.5" at local truck shops in the past. Likely depends on what vehicles the particular shop deals with. Some of the smaller sizes are used for coolant lines I believe.

Truth. At my work we stock everything from 1.75 to 6".. We do both on and off highway detroit diesel applications.

Well, I cannot help you with the size you are looking at....(I was in the same bind as you at the time...we don't have much of those shops in Toronto) I have decided to go with 2.5 Stainless exhaust all the way. I have enough tubing and bends left for another one...It is taking space in my garage. Shoot me a PM if you are interested, I will let it go for cheap.

Dayz

• 2 months later...

so I'm pretty sure the header ends at 1 and 3/4 inch diameter for each pipe (theres 2). It`s either that or 1 and 78`s, i forget. If I run either of those size pipes for duals (just like the twice pipe design), and then use reducers to expand it to the 2 and a quarter inlet of the cherry bombs is that good for size, or is it still too overkill and too much pipe diameter