HybridZ

home built twicepipes

Empire

I wish I could tell you, but my car is not finished. The car is at the paint booth now, then it will probably be months before I hear my fantasy exhaust.

I just thought I might be the first to make a dual exhaust with a crossover pipe for the L6. I have never seen one before and the X pipes seem to do well for scavenging, so what the hell. I wam ending the exhaust with some cheapy glasspacks(12") on either end. This little fantasy has cost me a lot of time and money when you consider that you have to change around your fuel cell arrangement to have symetrical duals out the back. With no basis to go on, I am taking a guess on how this work and sound. 2" pipe also makes for a bit of a challenge because there are more options for 2.5" I had to fab my own X pipe since I couldn't find a 2" prefabbed. I figured dual 2" wouldn't be much bigger then a 3" single, so it's not overkill.

larry

Your right, a lot of folks don't do the math and think the duals are overkill, but it is smaller then a single 3" pipe. The duals are a lot of work and I hope it is all I want it to be, because it slowed my project down a lot.

• 1 month later...
Your right, a lot of folks don't do the math and think the duals are overkill, but it is smaller then a single 3" pipe. The duals are a lot of work and I hope it is all I want it to be, because it slowed my project down a lot.

I like your pipe arangement ALOT. I read somewhere that for a hot street/ralley L6 they need to merge 50-something inches downstream. Yours seems around there, maybe a bit short, but when I make mine its not like I ahve to copy you exactly. :P I just like how it merges in general and then heads back out to 2 pipes again.

Where the X pipe ended up was just a matter of where it would fit. The L6 set up is NOT condusive to this arrangement. It would have helped it I could have afforded the equal lenght headers from Stahl, but the MSA header,(cheap=affordable) are unequal so I tried to adjust for that after the collector. There is very little room to be Xing around under there. Atleast my car is painted and I can start installing all this hard work. Ironically, I need to finish my daughters 3" exhaust on her 81zxt before I can mess with my car. Way too many Z's in the garage right now:icon6:

I like doing exhaust work-except the laying on your back stuff, it is fun fabrication for me. My daughters car will be a challenge too.

Where the X pipe ended up was just a matter of where it would fit. The L6 set up is NOT condusive to this arrangement. It would have helped it I could have afforded the equal lenght headers from Stahl, but the MSA header,(cheap=affordable) are unequal so I tried to adjust for that after the collector. There is very little room to be Xing around under there. Atleast my car is painted and I can start installing all this hard work. Ironically, I need to finish my daughters 3" exhaust on her 81zxt before I can mess with my car. Way too many Z's in the garage right now:icon6:

I like doing exhaust work-except the laying on your back stuff, it is fun fabrication for me. My daughters car will be a challenge too.

Daughter eh?!

Yah, I never actually measured the headers but my eyeballs tell me they're pretty close to the same length. I would think that maybe you can compensate it with two different length dual pipes however if you really wanted to have an equal header, why not chop the collector off and weld on however many inches to each primary so that they are equal? Better than $700 worth of header thats for sure.

• 8 months later...

Sorry I just kind of threw that link on a post with no description because it was so late. I finally have my car running and got around to putting a video together of the exhaust. It sounds cool,but too loud for this old man, so I have my magnaflows on on order(back order actually) and hopefully will have time to installthem in time for Zcon.I haven't had an oppurtunity to drive the car down the road yet,but hope it runs as mean as it sounds B)

If your motor is broke in. I'd love to hear that at a high RPM. Sounds great. I thought of a similar set up with the X-pipe. but exiting just before the rear wheel, molded into a body kit. kinda like the ford lightning. Thats with the glass packs?

Yeh I'd like to hear it revved up myself but that motor doesn't have 1 hour on it yet. I need to drive it around and break it in. Yes that is just 12$ glasspacks, might as well be just straight pipes.