HybridZ

Zip tying half shaft boots

PETEW

Hey guys. I had my half shaft shortened for my R200 install, at a machine shop. He didn't have any metal straps so he told me that I could just use large zip ties, for the boot, and that would be fine. I figured I would ask if others have done this and if there any adverse effects. It just sounds too easy to me. Thanks.

Working for a company making half shafts (Delphi), I've asked engineers in charge. They told me I should avoid zip tie because plastic get dry overtime + it could expand with speed.

I went with universal metal straps you just clamp by friction. By looking at my hafl shafts now, I'm not sure if this is a better solution.

I know Murray's and other auto parts store were selling those kind of straps.

For production at Delphi, we use clamp with a flat buckle we pinch with special pliers to get tension. Unfortunately over the whole batch of parts the company is using none is at the right size :(

Thanks for the help guys. I just decided to go to some of the local parts stores and see if any had universal straps, or if they loaned out the tool to put on regular straps. I found one that actually put the straps on for me while I waited. $10 bucks later and I am good to go. Not the cheapest, but not a rip off (at least I didn't think so). Thanks, again.

I've seen cheaper aftermarket driveshafts with thick nylon straps with the metal clip as mentioned by NCchris in regards to his (shhhh! *honda*).

But a good metal strap installed properly for 10 bucks is about as good a price as you'll get anywhere.

Ive had heavy duty nylon ZIP ties on mine for years...just dont buy the cheapo dollar store kind.

Also pick up one of thise ZIP tie guns. You can get them for a few bucks and they will help tighten those ties snug.