HybridZ

350 horse vw motor in 74 260

suparman

So I searched before I posted this and agin after however I have found nothing, I could be screwing somthing up. at any rate I talked to some guys whom said the most power I could get is 200 which with weight drop of stock components and having the early 260 I think that will provide a usefull increase in power. 74 beetle and 74 datsun weigh similar amount and should come out even with the beetle.

I hadn't realized we were talking about the beetle air cooled engines, as you never mentioned bug, beetle or air cooled in your initial post.

It'd be an interesting swap to say the least. 200 hp can be had with relative easy from the stock engine though, much more if you wanted to build up a decent 2.8 liter with a decent port job with programmable EFI. The NA 2.4 liter is pretty light too, or at least lighter than I originally thought a long time ago. For being an iron block inline 6 it's very light.

there has been mention of using a vr6 in earlier posts, which I thought might be a great idea. I'm currently dding a jetta with the 24v and I have to say it scoots along pretty well-- 204 hp, 214 ftlb. easily supercharged or turboed.

I've tinkered with the air cooled a bit myself, you realize its a rear engine design?

Honestly its seems like a lot of work for an old dated motor... why not stuff a subaru flat 4 in the rear like they do on dune buggies if you want the rear engine platform with a way newer powerplant thats watercooled. You are going to be doing massive fabrication so I would make it worth while.

Really is the engine in the back in a VW beetle !!!!

Yup, on the old cars they put the engine in the trunk and they put the gas tank under the hood. Bass-ackwards! They didn't have room for a radiator so they put a whole bunch o'fins on the engine and called it air-cooled. That ain't air-conditioned neither.

IMO, rear engine design for a Z is not a good idea. I know this is HybridZ and all, but keep in mind that when you sit in a Z, you're already sitting 6" in front of hte rear tires.

Granted, you'll get lots of usable trunk space in the front, but I don't think using an aircooled beetle motor in a Z is a good idea.

Stock Z weighed in at 2350 for 71 240z. Beetles were about 600 lbs lighter, not the same weight. You'd be losing out a lot on the torque due to beetle motor's displacement. You can squeeze out 200hp out of an aircooled motor, this is true, and the bug will do wheel stands, but you can also achieve that power from a mildly worked L28.

How much does it cost to get the 1600 or 1700 ito produce 350hp?

that being said, I am simply pointing out facts, and there's nothing wrong with wanting to put a beetle motor in a Z.

I suspect that I will lose 600 or so pounds going with a air cooled rear engine platform, so the 200 horse is really more than two hundred and with the motor over the tires I belive that will greatly add in hook up.

I am going to try to keep the exterior appering normally. however I belive I am going to have to lose the rear window and replace it with that louver piece to aid in cooling and give a few extra inches space.

I want to know how you plan on loosing that much weight since the stock engine only weighs about 400 pounds wet + about 75 for the transmission.

You'll obviously loose weight in the radiator and water in it as well, but I still don't see 600 pounds being lost just in the engine change. I thoroughly believe you can loose 600 pounds of the car total, but I'm just not seeing that much weight to be lost in the drivetrain unless the engine + transaxle setup you're putting in only weighs about 50 pounds.

Beetles are much lighter than a Z. For the cost of building even a 200 hp VW engine, you can buy a 400 hp chevy small block. You will be taking an engine that is very inefficient, spending a ton of money and putting in a heavier car...

Im not trying to come down on you or anything, I just hate so see you waste time and money. A+ for being original though. You would be better off installing an aluminum headed V8 either chevy or a ford.

I have lost my heater my car had a air conditioner I took out. Are you sure the transmission only weighs 75 definitly feels like more. rear floor pan, rear hatch glass.rear quarter windows, bumpers and a whole lot of brackets. I built a custom dash and it is alot lighter than stock. center console is custom also but weighs almost the same. plan on carbon pin down hood and rear hatch kinda of expensive but looks good. I think it was you who said to look at subaru flat four good ide, I did more resarch on that idea and found that subaru and mazda engines are commen to swap into a vw bug. So after I get the air cooled installed and working right I am going to go in that direction because of water cooling and being more modern not sure if mazda or subaru is better.

As others have said, more power to you, and take lots of pics! As much as many of us don't find this practical you'd definitely have one of most original setups.

I think you'll have a hard time getting the weight bellow 1800, but even at 1900 pounds with 200hp that's a fun little car.

The only thing is that I wonder if it might just make more sense to start off with the engine you plan on using in the long run.

Yeah, just start with a Subaru engine if thats your end game. Gutting the dash only saves 40 pounds, I have done it 3 times now and weighed all the parts and all 3 times I lost right about 40 pounds. The ac stuff isnt much more, but every little bit helps. I think you will want to keep as much floorpan as you can, thats a part of the cars chassis.

A turbocharged STI engine would be pretty sweet. They make like 305 hp stock, thats 50% MORE than your vw goal. Only doing it once is the best way to go. Im going through that right now, only this is my 3rd time installing a different engine in my car...:iospalo:

The Subaru engine would be the best bang for the buck, but if you can find a 13b-rew and a transaxle transmission, that'd be one of the most badass mr cars I've ever heard of. I did see a 13b swap into a Honda, using a transaxle transmission (although I don't remember which trans) so I think it's entirely do-able.

Personally, I'm a fan of the run-of-the-mill v8-in-the-Z swap. Twin turbos or a blower sweeten that deal for me.

Whatever you go with, make sure it ends up buttoned up in the end.