HybridZ

who's got the highest output HY powered L series?

something isnt right here...

stock head with no porting...

is there porting done to the intake manifold?!

Your running MSnS.. what are you running for ignition?!

i feel like something is missing...

you missed the part about the unknown camshaft, no porting to either casting, but the bump stick is definately not the stock one... the power profile of the motor says loads about that.

MSnS v2.2, 029q2 file set, MSD 6A and blaster 2 coil, nothing fancy.

I had various issues with my Hy35 setup, for some reason I couldn't keep it from boost spiking with my 38mm external gate. My z31 maf was also in need of a upgrade as I was blowing more air through it than it's scale allows for. I did make one crazy run at the track with it though, I can't say for sure how much boost it was as my gauge only went up to 20psi (it was over that for sure) I did manage to pulloff a 118.5mph et, which at my weight dials in at 360whp.

There are lots of bugs I hope to sort out this year (if I have time) I have a 44mm wastegate coming in the mail, got a new 45psi boost gauge and in the process of upgrading to a z32 ecu/maf.

Somthing must be goofy with your wastegate, or your location is bad where its venting from on the manifold. The car dyno'd here did all of it's runs on a Tial 38mm and did just fine. There is another Z we built running around Houston at 22psi steady if i recall on a HY35w who is running a 38mm Tial as well. Got photos of your location?

JeffP made 465 to the wheels! On a bone stock 150K mile bottom end! at 20 psi .. and over 300 at 10 !!!!

on an HY35w? the amount of boost put through a motor is irrelivant if you don't take into consideration the size of the turbo. Thats like saying that you'll make 400 @ 20 on a Hy35 and 400 @ 20 on a GT4294R. Totally different animals.

The something missing will be found when he goes to the track.

Sure will, the transmission... :)

Car won't go to the track until we get a Z32 trans put in it. We don't want to take that thing out there only to have it put out some stupid high mph with a crap E/T. We'd rather have our cake, and eat it too.

Then again, i've always wanted to run one of these motors with an automatic... if only i could get a TH350 or 400 bolted up to the damn thing.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somthing must be goofy with your wastegate, or your location is bad where its venting from on the manifold. The car dyno'd here did all of it's runs on a Tial 38mm and did just fine. There is another Z we built running around Houston at 22psi steady if i recall on a HY35w who is running a 38mm Tial as well. Got photos of your location?

Yeah could be, I gave up trying to figure that one out. The 38mm "almost" bleed off enough boost, it would go to 14psi, hold.. and then start creeeping eventually going somewhere over 20lbs. I will be upgrading from the 1.5" piping and 38mm WG to a 2.0" pipe with 44mm WG either way that should take care of the problem once and for all.

JeffP made 465 to the wheels! On a bone stock 150K mile bottom end! at 20 psi .. and over 300 at 10 !!!!

Yes, but the head was not stock.

old slow car's numbers seem a little high, but its probably the cam. I was hitting 390 ft-lbs of torque on a T03/04E 50 trim; 417 seems within reach with a better hotside.

The torque curve is similar to a stock setup except for the peak, which is why I asked about a cam early on.

The boost curve looks fantastic! :shock: Incredibly flat all the way past 6000 rpm.

"Then again, i've always wanted to run one of these motors with an automatic... if only i could get a TH350 or 400 bolted up to the damn thing."

They DO make adapters for that, you know... Powerglides as well...

"Then again, i've always wanted to run one of these motors with an automatic... if only i could get a TH350 or 400 bolted up to the damn thing."

They DO make adapters for that, you know... Powerglides as well...

to an L block? Link?

last i heard Warren was the only one with a line on that, and the repeated PM's i've sent about getting my own set of parts to make it possible have gone unanswered.

I don't know if James Thagard is still willing to make any more adapters or not, but he did a run of them at one point. I have one of his adapters. Send him a message and find out. If he doesn't want to make them, I may be willing to do some if it's okay with him. I just figured that if he was making them, there was no need to add a second vendor to an already small market area.

• 5 months later...

bolted it on when we got back, dropping by OS Gikens booth lit a fire under our ass.

we've affixed our high RPM short runner design to the same car that put out the previous numbers. and found that we have a warped flange from welding the assembly up, so we'll be pulling it back off to deck it as well as our long runner torque manifold. then we'll go back and try again.

hopefully we'll get them decked and reinstalled sometime this week and can update then.

it should also be noted we dyno'd the car again on the existing setup from the previous numbers, but now with a Z32 5 speed and CV conversion and have lost 20hp. did a quick run through the tune and nothings jumping out at us, so the beefier driveline has a bit of an appetite it seems.

Ive heard those Z32 transmissions referred to as "rock crushers" (just like the old M22s!) in certain circles, if that gives you any inkling of where that 20HP went.

better safe than sorry with a case full of gear soup.

on this car? prob never, 3.36 rear gear, setup for long sweeping curves on track days.

i'll give it a go though, i expect it will do a low 12 or high 11 with some rediculous E/T.

now if we can sort out somthing this winter with that discussion we were having, i might give that a whirl just to see :twisted:

3.36 is very good for a turbo car in the 1/4.

3.36 is very good for a turbo car in the 1/4.

maybe on the back half, trying to launch one at anything but a redline dump, especially on u-joints... its not good. speaking from experience on this one..

:cool:

try it with the stick first...

with the new CV's we'll go to the track, 235/60/15 mickey drag radials, and leave at 6000rpm.

we'll either go fast, or explode a stub axle.