HybridZ

Engine removal

IMO the toughest job is to unhook the trans from the engine and hook it back up afterward. This is much easier doing it outside the car. It is obvious that remove the engine by itself is much easier without the tranny attached to it.

I just pulled the motor out of my turbo ZX yesterday. There really isn't that much extra to do to get the tranny out at the same time. You just unbolt the drive shaft from the flange on the diff, then slide the drive shaft out of the tranny. Support the trans with a jack, remove all connections from the trans (I think there are about 3 things), then take the transmission mount bolts out from each side. Its pretty easy.

I personally just pull the motor ... I don't like doing extra unnecessary work. Dropping the motor & tranny back in at a huge angle just doesn't sound fun to me. 5 minutes of pushing & levering the motor back on to the trans is enough. :D

The only issue pulling them togehter is getting the sling set correctly so it angles everything enough to clear the front cross member(front to back). I found out was the easy part, putting it back in seeing as the whole thing sits on a slant is the tricky part.

depends on how good a rigger you are. unit has to come out at a slant when you pull them together so you need slings and some experience at rigging something out of a hole. Pretty easy if you have a lifting beam and two chainfalls but most folks don't have that to work with.