HybridZ

Was: How much Caster is too much? Now: Caster and Ackerman

I will be welding in my camber plates to the tubular front end I'm currently designing. I've been doing a lot of reading regarding caster, camber, ect. I'm wondering how much caster is too much? I will be running a subaru power steering rack, so I'm not really concerned with the increased steering effort. I just figure there is a point of diminishing returns here. I'm curious what you guys think. Currently I'm shooting for around 10 degrees as my target.

edit:

I will be using radial FA tires. 9.5" front 12" rear. I will be doing autocross and track days with the car.

Justin

Make it as adjustable as possible within a +3 to +10 range. There's no one number that's the best and sometimes more is not better. More caster increases tire scrub which slows the car down in a corner. This is a bad thing for horsepower limited cars and cars racing in a spec series.

Conversely, more caster increases the weight on the outside rear tire in a corner improving traction and allowing more throttle coming out of the corner. That helps high horsepower, traction limited cars.

I used between +5 and +9 degrees of caster on my racing 240Z depending on the track and the speed of the important corners. A track like Willow Springs with high speed corners required less caster then a tight Buttonwillow configuration. The trend in new performance cars is towards more caster. My 350Z came from the factory with +9.1 degrees of caster.

I was thinking, as I increase caster, I will need to move the steering rack back to not negatively effect ackerman. This is getting more complicated then I first imagined. Fun Fun... With the camber plates I have, I won't have any caster adjustment up top. I will have to change the length of the TC rod to adjust caster.

Moving the rack back gives the tie rods a bit of a bell crank like effect which increases Ackerman. I can't see how moving the control arm forward doesn't do the same thing. Am I missing something?

I'm moving the top of the struts back, reducing ackerman. If I where moving the ball joint forward, I would be increasing ackerman. I might do a bit of both now that I think about it.

Dammit. Now I think that I may be wrong on that. Regardless, I think a 5 or 6 degree change in the angle from stock is going to make a very minimal difference in the Ackerman, probably more than compensated for my by lengthening the TC rod even just a little bit.

EDIT--You got there before I did. Still don't think it's worth worrying about. I'd be much more worried about installing short steer knuckles like in the picture and it's effect than I would about tilting the knuckle back.

Medium and high speed corners need less Ackerman then low speed corners plus you use less steering angle in medium and high speed corners. I all comes back to what you're planning to do with your car.

There's no one Ackerman, Caster, SAI, Camber, Toe, Ride Height, or other setting that works well everywhere. Build adjustability into the suspension and steering and then be very, very willing to use that adjustability.

On my old race car there were a lot of things that were not "ideal" per the books and the Internet message boards. But it was very adjustable and I kept fiddling with things and taking notes all the time.

Inside front tire temps too hot on a fast track?

Add 1/4" wider front wheel spacers and reduce caster by 2 degrees.

Lap times drop, tire temps even out, slightly loose.

Remove front wheel spacer.

Lap times increase, inside rear tires get hotter, loose.

Add 1/2" front wheel spacer.

Laps times increase more, front tires get hotter, rear tires cool down, push.

Thank you for the response John. I do realize that there is no "best" I'm trying to get to a good middle ground that I can fine tune from.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good camber + caster plate? It seems to me that it would be nice to have the caster adjustment up top so that I'm not moving the wheel in the wheel well. Too many other variables change IMO when you just change the length of the TC Rod.

Justin

Went through this Ackermann stuff years ago with the S30, from memory there is not much Ackermann possible with a front mounted rack like the S30's. Although the angles can be tweaked a bit by bending/altering the steering arms, which I did gaining a slight improvement with turn in on slow corners.

But most rear mounted racks are set up so there is Ackermann, its much more practical in terms of available space to locate the relevant steering components for that purpose.

Are you going to use a stock crossmember? If so, you're limited by that piece. I've got my rack attached directly to the crossmember and although I haven't measured the Ackerman I'm pretty sure it's less than 100%. I would also venture a guess to say that Richard was at less than 100% with his modified steer knuckles. With both you might get close. Some formula cars are running 150-200%, so there is an argument for going more extreme...

• Administrators

How BMW gets 'some' Ackerman in a front steer package (E30 M3)...

E30M3Ackerman.jpg

I can't say what percentage the E30 has. What I can say is, a while back I CAD'd up a rearward movement of an S30 rack (around 1.25"), and a surprisingly notable improvement was made. Not anything close to 100%, but enough to warrant consideration, in my opinion.