HybridZ

Hood Vent Scoops?

misterZ

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also just received my hood vents in the mail and could not be more pleased with the product/service I received from grndfx. I was expecting a good product but the quality of these vents surpassed my expectations. Great instructions, all necessary hardware, and very high quality parts. Mounting the vents does require some minimal drilling but all the hard work is done :mrgreen:. If you are thinking about buying these then don’t wait, you will not be disappointed. I would buy from grndfx again in a second.

I have pair from the first batch a year or so back. I am happy with the product (purchased mine from ebay back then and shipped to me here in NZ in no time at all)

Pleased to see others can now get these again. Well done to grndfx for getting these back into production.

Now only if the same could be said about other parts for our cars (thinking mainly so of the harder to get rubber parts ie rear hatch hinge boots etc)

Thanks to everyone that ordered a set of vents and posted on the site about how happy they were with their purchase. Although we worked hard to get a high quality part produced , it is ultimately how they are received by the public that matters. And we are pleased to say that the response has been great.

We've sold quite a few sets now to members of the forum, even some going overseas. We are currently arranging to have the hood vents available through Motorsport Auto again, but we will continue the special offer to HybridZ members for one more week.

Any PM requests for vents received and responded to with a Paypal invoice by Midnight Sunday 20th September, will get the special discount rate of $100 plus shipping. After that, vents will still be available but at the regular price of $125.

Thanks again

Steve.

Hey guys

Just stumbled upon this last night. I own a 1976 Datsun 280z, thus I have no vents at all on my hood. I would like one of these but I have a question. Do you just basically cut out a hole in the hood and plop these in or are there some modifications that you must make? From the pictures it seems as if there is a lip on the hood where vents go.

Does anyone have an pictures of their Z with these vents?

Thanks

Jan

Guest Gr8White
Hey guys

Just stumbled upon this last night. I own a 1976 Datsun 280z, thus I have no vents at all on my hood. I would like one of these but I have a question. Do you just basically cut out a hole in the hood and plop these in or are there some modifications that you must make? From the pictures it seems as if there is a lip on the hood where vents go.

Does anyone have an pictures of their Z with these vents?

Thanks

Jan

The 78 hood is recessed for the stock vents and these vents fit into the recess. The vent has additional material molded to fit into into the recess with the outside perimeter flush to the hood.. I would say that the vent might work as long as you cut the hole to match the interior recess. The problem in your case is that the kit is designed to bolt the vent from the underside using the recessed metal in the hood. You would be on your own for mounting these and would have to fabricate your own mounting system, perhaps a 1/2" or so welded downturned tab around the perimeter of the hole you just cut. You could use the tabs on the vent itself as a template and screw in through the side.

Word of caution- The instructions are very clear in the fact that there is limited material in which to screw into and care must be taken to make sure your holes are placed in a location that has sufficent material to accept the screw. It's not that the vent doesn't have enough material, it's just fastened along the edge, thus the layout concerns. You drill only 1/4" into the molded vent using the stock 78 setup, so whatever you do you for mounts you need to keep this in mind. Some of the screws in the kit are even shortened to insure you don't punch through.

If you do your homework and use care when mocking up and match drilling you just might pull it off. What I don't know is how the geometry of the hood is laid out for the earlier hoods and if they are the same, maybe someone else knows this. It would certainly be something I would check out. If it's not identical I'd say your are SOL....don't know why it wouldn't be though.

I would say that the other big consideration would be location- It would be critical to locate the vents exactly where the stock vents are located, otherwise the vent would not be flush around the perimeter due to the change in geometry down the hood, get it wrong and your hood is toast. If you could find a 78 hood for reference and trace a template, it might just work. You notice I'm saying "might" an awful lot....Perhaps someone else can chime in for other concerns, but this is my thoughts.

BTW I have a rust free 78 hood I'd part with....I'm using the Subtle Z hood. PM me if you are interested.

Gr8White brings up several good points regarding the installation of our hood vents, but its not quite as dramatic as he may have said (but thanks for your input, Gr8White). When we designed our vents we used the factory hood openings as the basis for the overall shape and fitment. We wanted to create a replacement that would be as easy to install as taking the factory one out and putting our one in.

But we have installed these vents on a regular Z hood with no openings, and I know of another member of the forum that has installed them on a fiberglass Z hood. His install was documented here .....

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121612

To get hold of a later 280Z hood would be one option. The stamped recess and mount holes would make it a snap to install our vents

vent%20install%20c03-1.jpg

But if you feel confident about cutting sheet metal and are careful, you could put these in a regular hood. We initially put them in our 240Z and had to do exactly that.

RH%20install%201a.JPGRH%20install%202a.JPG

All that you really need to do is cut a hole that will allow the vents to sit down flush with the surface. Positioning that hole will need to be worked out (watch out for the underhood structure - you dont want to have to cut that) but its no too hard ... if your familiar with this kind of work! If your a total novice who hasn't done any bodywork, you may want to take it to your local body & paint shop for them to do.

If it helps, here are the dimensional specs ...

Hood%20Vent%20Dimensions.jpg

Thank you for asking this question, Pomorza. And to Gr8White for your help.

Steve.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

These vents are very nice. I wanted to ask if there should be any special precautions we should take when preparing to paint the Hood with these vents. (actually removing the vents and painting separately, but is there a particular primer that we should use?

Phar

P.s: thanks for bringing these back. I hope in the year since you've started production again, that it's been worth it.

Just a heads up!....... I'm finishing drop in hood scoops for the Z. I have the plugs almost complete, and they will allow for 1, 2, or 3 port options. The will also allow for custom positioning on the hood front to back. They look great and fit the lines of the Z well. I'm working on them being a simple drop in ( bolt in ) design to minamize the work to install.

Once I have them ready, I'll post in vendor section.