HybridZ

cutting my eibach springs?

Hey there, I drive a '78 280Z and I have the Eibach pro-kit suspension (springs) on with KYB shocks. Now, it only lowered my car about an inch from stock height and I really want it to go about an inch lower without spending over $300 on new springs and then getting them installed because I don't have the time to do it myself... Or the skills ha. So I was thinking on bring it down to a local auto shop and having them cut my springs for me, now I don't drive this car everday so it wont bug me to much with all the road noise and such.

What do you guys think? Is there a spring that can fit my car and drops it lower then the eibach or should I just cut them a bit?

Current photo with Eibach springs

0521091622.jpg

I dont think a little cutting hurts any thing, cutting too much will kill the spring rate. I cut the front springs on my 300zx, about 1 coil, nothing major and didnt notice anything different except it being lower(stock springs and I could fit my fist and 2 fingers in between the tire and fender, somehting had to be done while I was replacing blown struts). I had to cut the Mercedes 300d springs I put in my 82 maxima(280zx suspensions basicly), but I had to cut them because they were like 4 inches too long and super stiff so I know I didnt hurt the springs rates because they are for the front and im using them on the rear...

I dont think a little would hurt anything, but I wouldnt trust any one to cut some for me, just dont get them heated. I always cut them in the same place and make note of which way the sit in the car so its as close as where it would have been stock, but then again im a cheap backyard mechanic and what not...

On a side not Mercedes springs are huge compared to stock maxima ones. Has nothing to do with your thread but i like to go on and on and on.

l_e4a6ccd02f5f800314824ccaf9cfd576.jpg

Considering another set of lowering springs costs anywhere between $180-$240 new, I'd suggest cutting the current set of springs.

But my only concern would be that since you got the Eibach Pro-Kit, aren't those progressive springs? That would mean depending on how much and where you cut, the initial spring rate will change. I know their progressive kit for example will have spring rates between 80 lb/in and 225 lb/in depending on the amount of compression.

In hindsight, I'd have to agree with Comrade Charlie, because I haven't talked to a single person that has enjoyed owning or driving progressive springs. Just note that the driving impression will change differently from when cutting linear springs.

I was hoping one of the suspension gurus would chime in here.

Why do you want your car lower? I think the stance is pretty good how it sits now.

My tokico springs are loose on their spring perch when the car is on stands, is that how the eibachs are? I would wait until someone with actual experience comments in here before doing anything hah.

Yeah I was kinda waiting for someone to rip me out on this thread for asking if I should cut. I just want to fill in the wheel wells because theres still a little gap on the back tires - I really like the look when its flushed with the wheel wells, I do like how it sits right now too its just I think it can go like an inch or two lower and thats it.

I just bought Tokico springs for my 280ZX. I plan to cut them a little but no more than 1 full coil.

I'm going to install them first though and see where they're at and either cut 1/4 to 1/2 coil off front and rear to get it level and slightly lower.

What size tires do you have? Are they proper size or undersize?

I cut the stock coils on my 280ZX just for fun to slam it. :D 3.5 coils off the back and 1.5 coils off the front. Its plenty low but very stiff and bouncy... not fun to drive hard

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Lowering the S30 two inches pretty much kills the handling unless you're willing to shorten the struts. Cutting progressive springs is basically an exercise in futility because you don't really know what you're going to end up with. I've cut linear rate springs without any issues but the one set of progressive springs I tried cutting ended up with spring rate variance of over 15% from spring to spring.

Its a dumb idea, but hey, its your car.

I have the tokico lowering springs and it is LOW ENOUGH, for me. Holy crap I'm scared to drive to my school parking garage. I totally mangled my Y pipe today going a little too fast on a speed bump. Luckily no extensive damage was done since it was a slip fit and I had it put back on the header but seriously, I don't know how you guys do it. Any lower and I don't think I would be able to drive it on the street. Craziness!