HybridZ

Pulley problems with SBC

I have a 327 out of a 68 corvette that I am ready to put into one of my 280zx turbo cars, I am just having problems getting the pulley setup figured out.

So I have a short water pump with a large harmonic balancer(can those two even go together?). The other thing that makes this somewhat contrary is there are no accesory bolt holes in the front of the heads. I am also running a/c and power steering.

So, can anyone reccomend a good pulley setup for a 327, with no accessory holes in the heads?

Should I use a smaller harmonic balancer?

Should I use the short or long water pump?

Thanks for any help

Edited by JDTIPPIT
Didn't mean to hit enter when i did

Do you have the mounting for your alternator, ac, and ps all worked out? That's going to be a big factor in pulley selection, and it may be a challenge without the accessory holes in the heads.

I have March pullies on my sbc. Pricey but they are nice pieces and they work.

jt

Pulleys;

I found a cheap "billet" aluminum set from Summit. There are some set ups that use a double belt, or a Gilmer belt, that use brackets attached to the water pump.

Balancer;

You can buy many different small diameter balancers. I am using an odd sized 6.75" that is a little too big for my liking. I would get an even smaller balancer next time around.

Bracket;

You can do what Pete Paraska has done by bolting a custom bracket to the fuel pump mounting holes. On my block there are 2 small and 2 big bolt holes. I used the bigguns.

You can also find a set of brackets that use the water pump, or exhaust studs for support. There are many choices in various catalogs, especially Hot Rod and Circle Track suppliers.

Location;

I perfer the passenger(left side) mounting. The "mid-mount" brackets get the alternator low without interfering with the inner-fender area.

Do you have the mounting for your alternator, ac, and ps all worked out? That's going to be a big factor in pulley selection, and it may be a challenge without the accessory holes in the heads.

I do not actually have that figured out yet. I have bought a couple of brackets just to see if I can make anything happen. So far it has been problematic. I have the typical altenator bracket that mounts on the passenger side, and attaches to the water pump and intake manifold. There is the bolt that goes under the alternator and is suppose to thread into the accessory holes on the head but I have been told that bolt can be cut and it will be just fine.

Nothing quite seems to line up...

I pretty much have a fresh canvas to work wth. I just have to find a system that works with my heads.

or...

I could buy aluminum heads and go from there. But that would make me wait a week or two to get everything running. Plus the extra cost.

OK,

I did some research and according to what I found, the bracket for the chevy power steering pump, will be the same regardless if a person runs a short, or long water pump. So no worries there.

The following setup should work with a short water pump, single groove power steering pulley, and a triple groove crank pulley, and (I am not sure on this one yet. Help?) a double groove water pump pulley?

Here is the best setup that I have found for a pre 1970 sbc/ 327. I found it at speedway motors. It runs from $185-$300 depending on the finish.

This should totally fit under the hood right?

91667919~2_L.jpg

The harmonic balancer has nothing to do with the pulleys or selection thereof because the mounting face is always in the same location. SBC gen 1 either use pulleys for a short pump or long pump, you can't mix. If you have the short pump and are trying to use AC you will have a problem and have to go aftermarket to get pulleys. You can use a long pump, but you don't have accessory holes for the stock location and stock brackets. I have drilled old heads for the accessories, but it's PIA.

My initial thoughts are that setup is too high, but only a mockup and some measurements would tell for sure. I'm almost certain it would be too high for a S30.

jt

My car is an s130. So I am really wondering if it will work or not. I found that this is the same bracket setups corvettes used from the factory in the 68's. I would just hate to buy it then find out it will not fit.

JDTIPPIT-

I'm inclined to agree with jt1 that the high-mounts you're considering will not fit under a stock hood (but might fit under a scooped or cowl-induction hood).

Have you checked Alan Grove brackets? They make a great selection of high, low, and mid-mount brackets for many applications. I'm using their low-mount alternator bracket (P.N. 206L-ALT, $65) on my Scarab-mount 1st gen SBC. It's a super clean setup that keeps the alternator down low and out of the way on the driver's side. See attached pic.

WRT pulleys, I went same route as bjhines. Summit has good selection of decent aluminum pulleys at low prices.

Good luck and happy motoring.

jhm

IMG_1490_thumb.jpg

on once again we get into a problems that's potential solution will usually require some careful measurement, possibly a trip to a salvage yard, and some fabrication and a welder.

you may be amazed at what you could mock up and then build with some careful thought, measurement, and fabrication, going into the solution

I fabbed up a bracket and mounted the stock Z tensioner, and then mounted my alternator up high. Seems to work well.

The tensioner looks like you fabbed the bracket quite well. I'm sure you are pleased with the way it came out--looks great, really.

Davy