HybridZ

Double tripod "CV" axles - bad idea?

pete280z

Courtesy lists two different part numbers for the inner joint of the N/A z32:

1990, 1994-1996: 39711-Z32008

1991: 39712-Z32001 (NLA)

So there may have even been a third joint from 1992-1993. Nothing is listed for those.

Courtesy gets about $215 each for these inner joints (Pathy or z32).

I found this pic on a 240sx forum - shows the Birfield 5x1 not the tri-pod like you guys have - so might be an after market thing I am thinking

l_c71cf6f62a464958800d3ea902900453.jpg

Don't think its anything to do with aftermarket, S chassis cars had a viety of CV setups, from tripod to the one pictured.

In my opinion the tripod type are good for 300whp, providing the cluch is not side stepped.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Am I making a mistake putting together half shafts with tripod-style joints at both ends?

So would it be a problem to use the tripod for both the inboard and outboard joints?

Been digging through the CV shaft length threads and found couple of dots to connect, if anyone is still looking for the way around having new shafts cut.

In the thread linked below NZeder posted a picture from an FSM showing a factory CV assembly with two tripods, for the NA VG30E. Apparently they'll work, but the Birfield/double offset combination must be stronger. Post #57. Found the same diagram in the 1989 RA chapter.

I've noticed that all of the threads trying to find a combination of factory parts to use just peter out and fade away.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/65177-300zxt-cv-issue/page__hl__cv%20shaft%20length__st__60