HybridZ

Gear oil ????

tightywhitey185

I believe the Stock weight is 80 or 85 depending on climate.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of debate when it comes to brands and weight, especially if your talking about oil for an LSD.

I have an open R200 and use mobil one 90w

For diff gears and LSDs you can also use industrial gear oil that meets AGMA 5EP, ISO 220, and USS 224 standards. You can get a full synthetic 5EP gear oil that has a viscosity index of 94 which is what I've been running in the R200 on my 350Z with a OS Giken LSD. Its about 1/2 the cost of Redline 75/90 and meets a higher industrial performance standard.

For the transmission I run Redline MT90.

For even more off the wall you can mix it 50/50 with ATF and run it in a trans to quicken up the shifting.

Can you mix that with roaly purple?

I need to change mine and would not mind putting that in the rear and tranny to reduce losses to the rear wheels.

I was just afraid of proper syncro meshing with the lighter oil.

What atf brand, or dose it matter?

We run Case international Hytran in the gearboxes and open r200s in both our Zs. Works great, is pretty cheap, and you know it protects well because its originally meant for tractor gearboxes and hydraulics! (read lots and lots of abuse)

Chris and Rob

• 4 months later...

Brand of gear oil is fine, but how much? I did a search and found only 1 post which said 2-3 quarts. Others just say "Pour until it comes out the top hole." I just finished putting 3 quarts of Redline in my R200 LSD with a finned cover and it's STILL not full! Since I had to order the stuff (no one in town carries it on the shelf), I'm trying to find out how much more I need to order. It would have been nice to have placed only one order, but I need more. Or, can different brands of synthetic gear oil be mixed? What about synthetic and petroleum? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The diff is out of the car and sitting on my garage floor, which is level. I imagine I only have to put in another 6-8 ounces, but for precision purposes I was looking for a relatively exact amout, give 2-4 ounces either way. Doesn't matter, though. I found a parts store that carries Royal Purple. I'll just top it off with the quart I bought.

• 4 weeks later...