HybridZ

Turbo Exhaust note deadening

My current N/A setup is obnoxiously loud.

- Flat Top F54 and P79

- 6-1 Headers to a slip joint to 2.5' exhaust to a 'Ansa type' resonator.

It's very raspy and uncomfortably loud at highway speeds.

TrumpetRhapsody put a resonator in line behind his turbo and his 'bullet' muffler, and it's much much quieter.

I am switching from the Ansa twice pipe to a 3" Injen SES muffler.

My new setup will be: T3 to 2.5" MSA DP, to a 2.5"-3" coupler to 3" Stainless Steel exhaust to the Muffler.

I don't want to have to weld the exhuast twice, and I'm thinking about putting a resonator inline like TR did.

I could get a 3" resonator from Summit, or get a glass pack from a store in town. Any recommendations? It doesn't need to be silent, I just would like to be able to talk to people while they are riding with me.

It won't be too loud. I run T3>2.5">2.5"Magnaflow Tail Muffler. When I drive it mellow, it's plenty quiet for casual converstation. Even with the windows up or down. When I get on it, it gets much louder outside, but not much louder inside. The turbo is really good at muffling.

Here is a video with mixed soundclips from inside and outside. These are all taken with the windows open. You can hear that when I am off throttle, it's almost silent. On the highway, road noise exceeds the exhaust.

It's funny because I thought this was going to be a thread about how a turbo deadens exhaust noise. cygnusx1 and Pyro are spot on, the turbo will muffle your exhaust considerably. Some guys just run straight pipes with turbos.

From what I found out dont get a glass pack. Several people on the board actually thought it made their car slower because of the louvered design.

Currently I have a t3-stock downpipe-glasspack and it isnt quiet but is pretty mellow. You can always here the turbo spool and there is a drone which has increased now that the interior is out. I was actually really suprised since my 78 has about the same or more exhaust on the car and it is LOUD. As mentioned the t3 is your best muffler. :)

FYI, 2 types of glass pack designs out there. The old fashion one which uses raised bumps in the exhaust stream (louvered) which is very bad for flow. And the new design which uses a bunch of little holes in the tube ID (perforated tube). The new glass pack design flows almost like a straight pipe and the old design like a restrictive stock muffler. The dynomax bullet uses the new design.

Your rasp will be gone and replaced with a sweet rich deep tone at idle speed.

What's amazing is the low frequency element of a turbo L28 with minimal muffling.

It's almost quiet enough that you can't hear it idle from 50 feet away but car alarms will surely know it's there.

For what it's worth, I am running an L28ET with the factory turbo, MSA 2.5" downpipe to a 3" exhaust which has a 3" straight through Magnaflow muffler in the center right behind the transmission and a 3" resonator at the very back of the exhaust. It is very very deep at idle and load, and is very quiet while cruising. If I get on the throttle really hard, it still doesn't make much noise - just a pleasant rumble. Most of the noise comes from the intake. You can definitely hear the turbo sucking air more than anything.

• 2 weeks later...

This is very good to hear. Currently running my 280z with headers and the MSA twice pipes the engine is really annoying at highway speed. And this is even after I laid some thick soundmat throughout the interior. Good thing I'm planning the turbo swap. I'm going to try and see if I can use the MSA downpipe, go to 3" single piping and then terminate by adapting the current twice pipes glasspacks to fit on the end. Hopefully this doesn't create too much backpressure. I'd really hate to get rid of these tips, I just can't see myself replacing a nice looking twin pipe look for a fartcan (even if in the name of flow).

I'd really hate to get rid of these tips, I just can't see myself replacing a nice looking twin pipe look for a fartcan (even if in the name of flow).

That's what I'm doing :/ I might dump it by the gas tank so it won't be visible.

I really like how my dual tips look but it's probably a 2" opening at max :shock: