HybridZ

Can I drive your LS1 Z?

Yep, just as the title says.... Anyone in norcal bay area willing to let me drive a couple of miles in their LS1/t56 S30 Z? I would like to feel out the swap in action before fully committing to dumping the motor/trans into the car (and the money on that car)

I'll spot you gas and lunch :) (and you don't have to pick me up, I can drive myself over).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Maybe this will help . If you have driven a new SRT Challenger , Corvette or something similar. The acceleration with a LS1 is comparable. Do some engine mods or an LS2-7 and you may have to handcuff yourself to the steering wheel, just to stay in the car.

Braking , suspension and road feel is all about how much modification is done. The engine doesn't really change the original handling and brake characteristics. There is only a 20 or 30 lbs weight difference between the original engine and a LS engine.

I'm just about to return one we built to a customer and I'm really thinking of building one for myself.

honestly, i want to feel torque increase in ls1, but in a car that's 1200lbs lighter. i want to see how different linear torque feels in an ls1 z vs an ls1 fbody. i drove an 02 camaro (granted it may have had a maf issue) and it felt slow.

Aux,

This isn't a direct comparison with what you are asking but I think it's similar enough to be useful.

I have an LT1 in my Z and have driven a warmed over LT1 powered F-Body (96) as well as a bone stock C4 Vette with an LT1 (I believe it was the last year of the LT1 powered Vettes) all on the same autocross course.

The feel of all three cars was very similar as far as throttle response goes but the Z is much more brutal and accelerates faster due to the lower weight.

I think you'll find the same thing with the LSx motors, the throttle response will be comparable but the acceleration will be much more intense in the Z.

As far as the handling goes the F-Body felt heavy and sloppy, the Z felt alot like the Vette with a little sharper edge on turn in (probably the tires I'm running compared to the tires on the Vette). The only place the Vette really had the advantage was the brakes, but I'm running Toyota calipers with stock rotors in the front and stock drums in the rear.

Hope this helps. I'd let you drive my Z but it's LT1 powered and I'm in WA state, even further than Fresno. :(

Guest Gr8White
Maybe this will help . Do some engine mods or an LS2-7 and you may have to handcuff yourself to the steering wheel, just to stay in the car.

You would have to handcuff me to stay out of the car! Strictly speaking to the power to weight ratio, a 305 HP LS1 Z would be comparable to a Z28 putting around 400 HP to the wheels @ 3600 lbs. vs 2700 lbs. I'm not sure about the LS1 Camaro's exact weight however but I know they are pretty fat...We all know Z car weights can vary hundreds of pounds car to car too. Taking off 100 lbs on a 2700 lb Z equates to around 12-15 RWHP....