HybridZ

Weld in Camber plates vs adj lower control arms

And this is an extract from the GG website regarding these coilovers!

This kit is designed to bolt into the Z, and no welding is required.

Just a little bit confused - are these camber plates bolt in or weld in?

They bolt in but you'll need to cut the strut towers per their template for them to properly fit.

Cary

Template? What template?! I didn't get no stinkin template! There wasn't any literature with the kit but I wasn't concerned since all I have been hearing about the supplied instructions has been that it is useless. :D

Joe

Template? What template?! I didn't get no stinkin template! There wasn't any literature with the kit but I wasn't concerned since all I have been hearing about the supplied instructions has been that it is useless. :D

Joe

I also got no instructions or templates.

The template shows what needs to be cut out. If you place the plate on the strut tower you will see where you need mounting holes and what needs to get cut out. The plate is supposed to be mounted under the metal on the top of the strut, not on top. And for enlarging the center hole I've found that aviation snips work as well as anything.

And if you want a template I'd call GC and pester them. They used to hide things on their web site you could download. You don't really need this but it was nice to have.

Cary

Do the GG allow as much camber adjustment as the TTT or AZC camber plates?

I assume because you are cutting meat out of the top of the strut tower to fit the GG Camber Plates, it wouldn't be all that much different from using the TTT or AZC setup as far as the clearance you will gain and then movement allowed for camber adjustment!

Is this a correct assumption?

I think I need as much camber adjustment as I can get :-)!

I think the GC units have the max negative camber because the strut insert is offset as far to the inside as you can get it. I tried putting a TTT upper and GC lower together, and that didn't work because the slot length/placement was different.

9095camberplate1.jpg

What about if you want to add positive camber? with my RX7 lower control arms I appear to have quite a bit of negative camber already - I haven't been able to take anything close to an accurate measurement yet as my tires are a touch flat and the ground I am working on is pitted and uneven. But I think I already have at least 6deg, maybe more!

I haven't been able to accurately measure the cars ride height yet because I haven't been able to properly re-compress the suspension since I installed my RX7/Z struts, rolling it up and down the driveway hasn't done the trick :-) plus the ground is pretty un-even and the tires might be a touch flat, which could all be leading to worse than anticipated front end geometry,

Flip the plate with the spherical and get it out as far as you can. That's what a lot of us have to do in the rear when we lower the cars a lot.

But good to know I can do this to reduce Camber if required!