HybridZ

MAG58's DOHC L28 Build Log

MAG58

yeah this biuld looks very interesting. i was going to try the KA heads put together but the M104 does look to be not as complecated . yet i know putting that head on will be hard but hey it will be worth it. 4 valves per cylinder compared to 2 valves is always better. Im will be picking up a M104 head soon from my local pullapart which i believe has one. when i get it i will be putting 6 individual carbs from a R1 yamaha on it to cut down on electronics. i have quite a bit of fab skill and a shop to do this at so that helps as well

Is that picture with the stock merc sprockets and the stock nissan crank sprocket?

The chain length will probably change if you use only merc sprockets or only nissan sprockets. I agree with XNKE that using the kameari style chain tensioner you will get the right chain tension, rather than hoping that the range of the nissan tensioner will work. (kind of a long shot for such a custom application)

I'm curious to see what you come up with for a solution.

• 1 month later...
Update: I went to Indy yesterday to see what's at the local Pull-a-Part, and found sitting there an M104 Merc Cylinder head. So for 40 bucks, I pulled it and nabbed all the goodies and brought them home to see if it fit. It did :eek:... The bore spacing is DEAD ON and the head bolts are very close, in the small thousandths , which is doable.

That said, I took some pics of the head vs a stripped P79 I had just sitting around and threw it on the block to see what it would look like. Right now it's just sitting there, because I couldn't find a stock set of Z head bolts. It would actually bolt up using them, but I'd like to bore for the bigger Merc head bolts since they're massive.

Could you please tell me exactly which version of the M104 head you used please was it the

2.8 L M104.94x or the 3.2 L M104.99x

Edited by R30hybridz
more infomation

Could you please tell me exactly which version of the M104 head you used please was it the

2.8 L M104.94x or the 3.2 L M104.99x

It was a .99 head but the .94 is the same head. the .98 has a side water exit and would be easier to deal with timing as well since it uses a tensioner on that side as opposed to a timing rail. Hope this helps.

They all use 14mm head bolts which means you can get some sleeves made to use the Z head bolts (you'll want the long ones that shoot through the cam towers as well)

Edit: I have some pretty good information here: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/showthread.php?t=269449 that I've amassed before some people went off topic with a whole bunch of benchracing and general Mercedes-Benz idiocy.

• 5 months later...
  • 13 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 9:54 AM, didier said:

well old story , but MAG58 was right, mercedes M104 head is possible on a datsun L28 stroked , build is not over but we will see what happens soon 

bye bye 

Didier 

IMG20240203234711.jpg

IMG20240201143336.jpg

IMG20240131170738.jpg

IMG20240131183735.jpg

IMG20231207163322.jpg

I meant to ask this before, but can you give some more details on the timing setup? It looks like you're using the stock Mercedes guides. What did you have to do to get those to fit the block? 

On 4/4/2024 at 1:16 PM, calZ said:

I meant to ask this before, but can you give some more details on the timing setup? It looks like you're using the stock Mercedes guides. What did you have to do to get those to fit the block? 

well yes , stock guides , just to make lower axes in the block, and the stock cover is modified  to make some space, electric water pump ( davis Craig ) , and tensioner on the right side, in place of the water inlet  ( spring and lock without oil pressure ) no need for oil pump drive or distributor for i put dry sump pump system and megasquirt ignition and injection EFI with yamaha bike itb's 

So simple and cheap , just a little of brain storming ! 

oh ! and a little joke for the head cover !! Lol ! 

IMG-20240326-WA0001[18390].jpg

IMG20240402144145.jpg

IMG20240302232438.jpg

IMG20240402144135.jpg

IMG20240131170900.jpg

IMG20240131183735.jpg

IMG20240131183748.jpg

IMG20240318163342[18376].jpg

• Like 2