HybridZ

First accident ever!

cygnusx1

I signed up with an agreed value of $8000 about 10 years ago. I have made improvements to the car and the values have gone up a little. I still think I could sell it for 10-11K which is not that much higher than the 8k it's insured for. It's misleading because you need to go 30-40% over what the car would sell for if you want no hassle coverage.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dave, My budy looked at the pics. He laughed at the $8,800.00 estimate. He has no problem looking at your car, and giving you his professional opinion. Also, he thinks it's a minor hit, and even if he had to put the car on a caroliner to correct door gaps....it would be a piece of cake.

Take more pictures, and send them to me. Did you notice if the door gaps have changed??? This would indicate unibody shift/damage. Ask the body shop where the actual damage is. What are they going to do to your car to fix it???

The body shop took pics after they dropped the tank and took out the rear interior/exterior panels. The only possible unibody damage that I noticed was a slight vertical misalignment of the right hatch seam. The quarter panel seems about 1/16" lower than the hatch line. I have before and after photos. The doors look perfect and there is no visible damage/warp to the rear quarter or sail panels.

Pics uploading...

BTW...does anyone remember my rodent battle from 2 years ago? Well I figured that I was blowing brake light/hazard fuses because the mice chewed wires somewhere. I was RIGHT. Those mice were NASTY.

602814132_rARUY-X3.jpg

Personally, I think he's probably pulling your leg. I'm not seeing anything that suggests there is frame damage enough to knock the hatch/rear quarter out of alignment. It doesn't even look like it pushed in that bit of the rear subframe right behind the roll pan, and if it did, not very much. Granted, I am not a professional, not even close.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to leave the car with Classic Restoration Inc. because he is supposedly one of the best shops in the area, and at least if I ever sell the car, I have his stamp of approval on the work. Not to mention, I am not paying for a dime of the accident work anyhow.

The car should be ready in a few days. I had some additional work done, on my dime, while the car was there. Some rust repair in the inner rear quarters, and lower door skins.

Here is a semi-charity built T-Bird that Classic Resto did. Pretty cool photo essay of the crap they deal with when some one brings them a car that was supposed to be in "restored" condition!

http://www.classicresto.com/mambo/content/view/150/2/

Dave if you ever choose to sell you car for the above mentioned price please give me a call ;)

When I talked to Hagarty they said around 20-25K shouldnt be a problem for a nicely restored/modified 240z. I never finished up with the deal though because I still had a ticket on my record, I should be good to go now and plan on signing up with them....sounds like you have had a reasonably good experience.

I have started driving my car almost daily and I am afriad something like this will happen and Ill just have to part out the car since I carry allstate.

Good luck with everything, sounds like its going to be fixed right.

Here is a semi-charity built T-Bird that Classic Resto did. Pretty cool photo essay of the crap they deal with when some one brings them a car that was supposed to be in "restored" condition!

http://www.classicresto.com/mambo/content/view/150/2/

Very nice work. I, however, would be scared to own such a well maintained car. I'd go nuts if anything happened to it.

Hagerty did everything they could to NOT total the car. They pushed the body shop to lower his cost until the car was within range. They looked at all the photos on my site and the photos taken by the body shop and made sound judgement calls. They were on my side the whole way. Never ever, giving me a hard time. It was my fault for only having $8K on it, but they worked with me to settle it all out. Needless to say, I am going to stick with Hagerty and raise my coverage level significantly.

• 2 weeks later...

The car turned out great. There is one thing that needs to be redone however. While trying to get my hatch to align, it looks like they pushed the hatch seal deck down a little and warped it. The original paint on the deck cracked and they left it like that. I am not sure if they even noticed it. You see it when you open the hatch and an avid Z person will see it right away. I am going to have him fix it. Hopefully it wont take too much pressure to get him to repair it.

Here is a shot of the car today after I hit the front half(original paint), and wheels with the clay bar to get off any overspray.

643420757_QCrST-XL.jpg

• 1 month later...

looks great, Dave.

Even though untimely, I think you'll find solace in knowing that your car is mostly rust free in the rear and will stay that way for a while with a fresh coat of paint and a thorough once-over by professionals in the biz!

Welcome back, Dave's Z!