HybridZ

First accident ever!

cygnusx1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The good news for all those in the Northeast, I can tell you with great certainty that, the since my car is officially in paint jail, the weather will remain sunny and dry for the balance of my jail term.
Now that you mention it, the majority of the rain seems to have stopped right about when you got in the accident. :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens.

I brought it to probably the best restoration place in this area. I figured he would do it right and quote it on the high side for a comprehensive repair. I have Hagerty coverage of $8000 for the car. I was guessing around $2 to $3K for the repair. I just got the formal repair quote from the shop and they copied Hagerty on the email. Are you sitting down?

$8779.95

Hagerty left me a message saying that they were unsure of what the deal is and that they need to talk to me. I left a message for the body shop telling them that the estimate was over my coverage. I am living on pins and needles now. I dont want this car totalled. I dont want to get a cheap fix. I dont want to spend $9K to fix it. The shop had to take the rear of the car apart to get a good quote so it is not driveable right now.

Another question mark....why is my insurance limit coming into play if I was rear ended by an insured driver?

Someone mix me a drink and give me some good news! I know I should get other quotes but the car is now in the resto shop with lots of parts removed. I looked at the quote in detail and it seems like about $2K might be able to be pulled out of the job to cheapen it.

Argggghhhh.

Dave, if you didn't file a complaint/ issue a summons to the driver, it's time.

That is assuming you haven't exceeded any time limits for the complaint.. Just because a cop doesn't issue a ticket, doesn't mean you can't.

Getting a conviction/guilty finding from the judge gets you on your way to making him financialy resposible to you. His insurance company then covers him up to his limits of liability. Then it's on him. I've been down this road.

Back in '86 when some clown ran a red light and totaled my '68 GTO conv., I wrote him a ticket, (cop couldn't, didn't see accident ) Initial ins. offer...$300.00....SETTLED....$4500.00

WRITE HIM UP COWBOY.

I had an accident in my s2000 where someone hit me at a stop sign i belive it was farmer's insurance they kept giving me the go around and trying to just patch up the front bumper straiten out the hood and bondo the fender at one of their repair shops when i had a completely original 2002 honda s2000 with 44,000 miles ended up having to hire a lawyer.

End to the story was me getting my car properly fixed with Genuine honda bumper head lights fenders turn signals ect. and got a nice little settlement to pay for the depriciation on the value of my car since it was in an accident and was no longer an accident free car. got 5200 aside from getting the repairs done properly and getting the entire car resprayed to color match it properly.

Id say if the car doesn't have any accidents on its history get them to pay for ruining the cars resell value.

when it comes to insurance companys i used to get screwed when i was first driving but that stoped now i make sure i get compensated for everything. My time is valuable and my cars mean the world to me.

Ya your car is worth way more than 8K. When i wrecked my car last year I was told my car had a retial value of 13k. At the time i had a rustoleum rolled on paint job. and wasnt all that great yet. same turbo set up i have now though. I was in SHOCK when he told me that. I know I couldnt of gotten 13k for my car if i sold it. If noticed that insurance companies value our cars at alot more than what we could sell them for. Nice for when we wreck them. Not so nice for when we sell them. Once i get a garage I am going to get my car appraised and get on some better insurance.

Does anybody else think they over-quoted it because they didn't want the job? Maybe the shop is too busy right now, owner wants to take a vacation, etc.

Haggerty should be on your side, filing a claim with the other driver's insurance. I would consult Haggerty for advice.

I spoke to the shop this morning and he said that he is going to reduce his labor rate and re-use some parts that he was going to replace. This will bring the job down to around $6k which should fit under my $8K limit.

I reviewed the quote and it all seems fair. He is very throrough. It is really expensive when you start repairing these cars the right way.

The right rear rail/quarter panel is slightly pushed down, evidenced by the poor alignment on the hatch. He will be straightening the unibody and probably re-painting the right rear and the rear. It will probably get into the roofline as well. Then he has to straighten the rear sub floor area and the valence and paint top/bottom inside/outside of it.

Fabricate rear bumper brackets for the 240 bumpers, new rear bumper, a couple of trim parts, hardware...

As far as insurance culpability, he said that with these cars, if you go through a "standard" insurance company (the guy that hit me), they will value the car at a blue-book value and you will need to fight it out to get the car repaired. He said that I am doing the right thing by going through my classic car insurance. They appreciate the true values of the cars and are much more likely to pay out for a proper repair and work things out.

I made the mistake of only carrying an $8K policy. He recommends about $15-$18K for my car. Lesson learned. He said that if the car was hit just a little harder, it would have to be totalled due to my policy limit.

I hope this helps some of you out. My fingers are crossed that Hagerty accepts the new quote and the repairs proceed.

Honest opinion here:

Just looked over the 6k quote and I still call BS! I don't even want to see the 9K quote. Yes this shop may do the best work in town and yes it may come out super nice but here is my problem with this repair.....I will leave it up to Dave if he wants to go into details.

* Just taking one portion out to the quote: 21.5 hours is being charged to the job to fix the rear quarter panel @ the lowered price rate. 21.5 hours......no way just in the quarter panel! This doesn't even include the frame machine time...that is another item on the list.

* Unless you are going to source some of these parts yourself, I wouldn't have them work on the car. Another item on the list is the fab of new rear bumper mounts for $300...you can buy them here for lots less.

*Spending almost 7k on work and paint on a car that is not, STOCK or a 240Z or a LOW MILEAGE car doesn't make sense to me especially if only HALF the car is going to be painted. You will have an amazing REAR Z (that's my attempt for a joke) but the front of the car including doors are 10 year old paint.....and if I know you well enough...you won't be happy with that.

What do I suggest? Use this shop for the quote and do either or:

Have them fix the car but find out how much more would it cost you to paint the entire car and take care of whatever rust that has developed since the last paint job 10 yrs ago....CASH price.

or

Find another shop that does good work and have the tail section fixed and painted. With the money in hand from the insurance, you can get the car fixed for, lets say 3k and have the rest in your pocket for upgrades - family trip - savings or anything else you may want to do.

or

Just drive it like that until you figure out how you want to spend the money on the car. Could even fix the the 280z and buy a 240z for the lil man ;)

I am looking at this as transparent. My car was nice, it was hit, it will come out nicer than before. No cost out of pocket to me. We also spoke about fixing the bubbles that formed on the bottoms of the doors while the car is there, and he was also talking about respraying the roof where there is a metallic mix fault in the previous paint, and the hairline cracks where the quarters meet the roof. WinkWink. In any case. The car gets improved at no cost to me. I really can't ask for more. Nor do I want to. The front end paint is still great asides from the "elbow waves" on the fenders. They don't bother me much. They are a hint of all the work I have done under the hood.

I just want it fixed correctly, and quickly. I am not going to try to scavenge cash out of the deal.

I am anxiously waiting for the green light from Hagerty right now.

If that is the case, then just let them fix it and say you want it back in a month. As long as you can' tell that one quarter was painted with the roof and bottom of door....I guess the paint will look good. Silver paint with flakes is not an easy color to blend.

What the hell do I know....I just got my car painted finally =)

More drama and some lessons for handling your insurance.

The latest repair quote dropped from $8700 to $6200. My car is insured for an agreed value of $8000. With the first quote the insurance company would total the car instantly. With the second quote, it is very close to being totalled also. Hagerty said quite frankly that the Z is in great shape and would cost me about $5k to $6K to buy it back from them if they were to total it. So they would hand me $8000, and sell the car back to me for $5000-$6000. Then I would be left with about $2-$3K to fix it and I would have a salvaged title. Not good.

I still don't know what is going to happen but I will not let them total the car. I will try to get the repair cost down to where they won't total it, by negotiating with the bodyshop or finding inferior body shops. It really sucks.

The lesson here is, if your car is worth $10K, you should insure it for an agreed value at least 30%-40% more than that to cover the BS.

...Not sleeping well here not knowing the fate of my Z car. :ugg:

IMHO.

Pack up all the parts. Drive it some where else, upon a reputable recommendation,or.... My Budy down the street, who you may have met, is in the buisiness. (The guy with the 40 chevy's) can give you a fair estimation of the damage. COST TO REPAIR SOUNDS/LOOKS TO HIGH !!!!!!........ TO ME.

Hagerty said quite frankly that the Z is in great shape and would cost me about $5k to $6K to buy it back from them if they were to total it. So they would hand me $8000, and sell the car back to me for $5000-$6000. Then I would be left with about $2-$3K to fix it and I would have a salvaged title. Not good.

So is the point of Hagerty just to get your invested money back, but not to save the car?

That is unfortunate, I hope everything works out.

Hagerty is a business. They look for the cheapest way out. Can't really blame them. They are doing whatever they can. So far I have only good things to say about Hagerty. I only wish they had told me to "review" the value of my car once and a while to adjust my policy, but that's really my fault. Jasper, I will pull the car out of there and get estimates out the wazoo until we get to the number that works. Keep that guys info handy, I many need to send the car over to him.