HybridZ

Summit fuel rails/LS1 fuel feeds/adapters questions

Ok, I've done some searching and reading, and still trying to make a decision - and I'd like to hear from you guys what your thoughts are. In my previous post, I asked about inquiries of summit fuel cell vs. camaro tank, and I decided to stick with the fuel cell since it's already in place, already have plumbing set up and fuel pump. I can add a surge tank later.

Now, the next part is about fuel rails and feed to the motor. Here are some things I had questions about:

1. Should I opt for replacing the stock fuel rails with aftermarket units? Pro: would make everything easier. Con: more money

2. Does anyone have experience with these summit lsx fuel rails? They're $189

sum-240050.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-240050/

3. Does anyone have any experience with adapter/conversion fittings like these clicky here

!BT0vkpQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl1JwPBKKdnsziVQ~~_1.JPG

DSC05100W.jpg

These are designed to convert stock compression fittings on the stock rails to -6an feed.

4. Is it better to run a parallel or sequential setup for fuel rails? Do I run:

a. fuel pump -> fuel line -> pass side fuel rail -> fuel line to driver fuel rail-> return to FPR -> return to tank

b. fuel pump -> fuel line -> Y splitter -> 2 lines, 1 to each fuel rail, 2 lines return to FPR -> 1 line return to tank

Thanks!

Ok, I've done some searching and reading, and still trying to make a decision - and I'd like to hear from you guys what your thoughts are. In my previous post, I asked about inquiries of summit fuel cell vs. camaro tank, and I decided to stick with the fuel cell since it's already in place, already have plumbing set up and fuel pump. I can add a surge tank later.

Now, the next part is about fuel rails and feed to the motor. Here are some things I had questions about:

1. Should I opt for replacing the stock fuel rails with aftermarket units? Pro: would make everything easier. Con: more money

2. Does anyone have experience with these summit lsx fuel rails? They're $189

sum-240050.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-240050/

3. Does anyone have any experience with adapter/conversion fittings like these clicky here

!BT0vkpQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl1JwPBKKdnsziVQ~~_1.JPG

DSC05100W.jpg

These are designed to convert stock compression fittings on the stock rails to -6an feed.

4. Is it better to run a parallel or sequential setup for fuel rails? Do I run:

a. fuel pump -> fuel line -> pass side fuel rail -> fuel line to driver fuel rail-> return to FPR -> return to tank

b. fuel pump -> fuel line -> Y splitter -> 2 lines, 1 to each fuel rail, 2 lines return to FPR -> 1 line return to tank

Thanks!

Sweet cheers for the link for the adapters been thinking about how to solve this problem.

I used the MSD rails. Very similar to the summit rails. It looks neater than the stock set up and made plumbing easier. I could not find any fittings like those in your link at the time.

I plumbed mine like example A.

OK, after doing some research, I found that the most common conversion is to get a corvette c5 fuel filter with built in pressure regulator, run a returnless line from the filter to fuel rail, using stock setup. there's a return line that goes from fuel filter to the tank, so all the pressure regulation is taken care of before it enters the rails. More info here:

inletwn8.jpg

dsc03436lr9.jpg

DSCF3938.jpg

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/652827-some-more-pics-corvetter-filter-fpr.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/738856-look-sweet-deal-corvette-fuel-filter-regulator-37-93-38-34-ebay.html

• Administrators

Aux,

Here is the fuel rail kit I purchased for my LSx conversion. One of, if not the cheapest I found, ($91.95 retail!),

10610.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-10610/

I expected it to be really poor quality given the price, once I received it I found only the packaging was somewhat cheesy, the rails, mounts, machining and machining alignment all looks to be just fine! :wink: It is even height adjustable for the different length GM fuel injectors...

Your C-5 filter with integral FPR is a great way to go. Return less fuel rails… :2thumbs:

Here’s one of my LS1 intakes with this fuel rail mocked up and scratch built EGR plug;

int1.jpg

damn, that's pretty cheap... no fitment issues, no leaks, nothin? I see it doesn't have fittings included for that cheap, and searching yields $145 unit with linking fuel line between 2 rails, and end fittings for quick disconnects. hmm...

right now, I have 2 fuel filters I can use with -8an fittings, 80 micron and 10 micron. 80 is between fuel cell and pump, the 10 will be after the pump. I have preformed 8an alum line to go to hte engine compartment with 8an crimp fittings on it for feed (rotary setup) that can still be used. I could reuse all this by getting an fittings for the fuel rails and using my existing aeromotive FPR.

Tempting, and perhaps this is something I'll save for the future. Right now I'll likely opt for the stock configuration, but I should have enough fittings/line to do the fuel rail conversion.

Good info and thanks for teh link, braap

• Administrators

I realize you are possibly pursuing a different avenue, this is more to help kepe the gears turning for others…

This fuel rail does come with one fitting. Both ends of the fuel rail are tapped NPT, so you could do as you please regarding fuel in and out if you desire.

If you have an after-market FPR, it will generally have multiple outlet ports allowing the option of using the FPR itself as a "T", eliminating the need for a cross over hose, i.e. one port from the FPR per fuel rail.. :wink: That is how I plan to plumb mine, using the FPR itself as the "T" to both rails.

ma4305m.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

REceived my LS1 28 lb injectors so started to final assy the LS1 intake. did and initial full mock up, injectors, fuel rail, etc, and couple things things immediately stood out. These cheap fuel rails ain’t perfect. Turns out I had to so some machining to get them to fit properly.

1) Slot the mount holes 1/8” to allow the injectors to sit at the correct angle, the injectors were leaned over sideways, O-rings were slightly cocked in the bore of the manifold and fuel rail. Most likely would've sealed just fine, but is wasn’t right and was quite noticeable!

2) Had to slot the clearance notch for the mounting brackets due to slotting the mounting the holes.

3) Had to notch the bottom of the fuel rail for the injector connector. My LS1 injectors use the old BOSCH style connector which interferes on the bottom corner of the fuel rail. They actually will clear once installed, but if you ever had to remove the injector-connector for any reason, you'd have to remove the fuel rail first! :wink: The smaller style connectors like on the truck injectors is not an issue, those clear fine.

4) Couple of the injector bores had some significant scratches, (tooling drag during manufacturing?) that I felt would’ve leaked! :shock: Spent an hour and a half just honing/buffing the injector bores to the point that I feel satisfied. Only had to remove approx .003”-004" material, O-rings are still quite snug, will seal fine now.

My guess is the even the other fuel rails will have similar connector clearance issues, though I would hope for the added cost of those other fuel rails that the mounting holes are properly located!

plgclr2.jpg

plgclr1.jpg

I went with the c5 fpr setup. so clean and 1 easy hose to run to the front and a clamp on the single inlet rail. so easy!!! Looks clean.

Reason behind this for me was to spend little money up front to get the car driving asap and to keep issues from arrising and causing time to fly by. This happened to a buddy we both know (duderino on sva) where he gets caught up in so many details and trying to do this whole big deal always that its been 3 years and still doesnt have a car running. Meanwhile if ya swap the ♥♥♥♥ asap get it simple and done your actually driving around faster and then down the road if ya want some bling factor then its a simple day project. Or if you plan to do some upgrades like a cam or something and need more fuel or maybe a fast intake ya swap it all at the same time. Now that I finally dove in and saw what i actually did and what it takes to put an ellis juan into ANYTHING I feel confortable and its almost funny how easy it really is.

Go cheap get it running asap and save that 250 bucks for something down the road that does something other then look good!

• 1 month later...
Are you referring to the same adapters is in the first post?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640850/

No, the other end. The side that goes to the fuel rails.

Something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-15104/ but not 50$. Hah!

Well... doing a google search for "Dorman 800-155" will get you the tube piece. Then you need a -6 tube nut / sleeve to turn it into a -6 Female AN fitting.