HybridZ

Which Paint/Spray gun should i buy.

logan1

Well i have decided to paint my own car and am in the market for a good paint gun @ a resonable price.

I not really sure as to how much i need to spend on a paint gun since i'll proabbly only use it a few times.

Do i need seperate guns to spray primer, paint and clear?

What brand should i buy? (My car is a daily driver and not a show car)

I have been reading online about spray guns and it seems that i should get a HVLP gun for automotive paint purposes.

Please share any painting tips or trick that might prove useful to someone that has never used a spray gun before.

The HVLP gun from Harbor Freight has actually gotten some decent reviews, to my surprise. I think you can pick it up for $60, or so. There are definitely better guns out there but if you are doing this once in a while than it is hard to justify some of the prices.

The HVLP gun from Harbor Freight has actually gotten some decent reviews, to my surprise. I think you can pick it up for $60, or so. There are definitely better guns out there but if you are doing this once in a while than it is hard to justify some of the prices.

agreed, my high school auto body class used harbor fright guns and they worked better than expected. Expect to buff and polish afterward but the final results were quite good.

I have been doing a lot of reading about different guns and a leaning towards the harbor freight 43430 HVLP gun. It seems to be getting a lot of good reviews from amateur / novice painters such as myself. And at a price point of ~$40 it seems to be an awesome gun.

anyone on here ever use this gun to paint a car?

I've been using this setup for a while. I gotta say it works great for the money. Should include everything you need.

http://www.eastwood.com/paint-equipment/paint-guns/devilbiss-auto-paint-and-priming-system.html

i bought a devilblis set a while back. some pro painters use it when they do not need to break out the expensive guns. it came with 2 hvlp guns with 2 different tips and a detail gun. all for $150.00. works good.

jimbo

Kool that seems to be a good quality kit. Looks much better than the harbor freight 43430 HVLP gun I was about to buy. Could you please pictures of the car you guys painted using this kit.

Disclaimer. I am not a painter...at least hand painting..robots..another story.

A decent Devibliss is MORE than adequate for an average or ameteur painter. Proper spray booth/booth conditions. (heat, humidity airflow filtration) is far more important than ANY gun you choose. As others have stated. Its the painter, not the gun. I have seen rattle can jobs that are high quality show car ready. Stunning really.

I have a crappy compressor, that forced me to use a smaller detailing type gun, and with a spray pattern no bigger than 2" I managed to paint the back half of my Z in my buddies garage, and it turned out pretty good considering the conditions.

Why I'm posting though is in another direction altogether. Becareful about spending big $ on guns for solventborne materials. There is a strong push going on by governments to reduce VOC emissions, and converting to waterborne technologies has already begun. Many OEM's have already converted to waterborne as they build new facilities (old solvent borne plants are exempt for now). Now the guns are not drastically different, but there are some differences with waterborne capable guns, so if you have not converted to waterborne paints, I would hesitate having big $ guns.

BTW there will be little choice in this conversion to waterborne, as it will be illegal to mfg solventborne paints, and paint companies will eventually stop mfg/selling them altogether.

I don't want to get into the politics, so I will just leave at that.

Have fun painting!

Scott.

Hey guys I have an opportunity to pick up these guns locally for $200 each.

Devilbiss GTI 620G HVLP paint gun with size 1.3,1.4, & 1.5 tips, comes with regulator and hook stand in original box. Like new $200

Devilbiss SRI-625G HVLP paint gun, used very little $200

Does anyone have any experience with these guns?

I would only be purchasing 1 of these guns.

There are a lot of things to consider. As others have said, don't drop your wad on the gun. You will need to spend money on filters/dryers. Also, have you chosen your paint yet? Depending on the paint and primers you will be spraying, will determine your tip/needle size.

sata is the gold standard for auto body shop painters. never used one before but from the feedback I get from painters they are the guns to use if you are willing to pay the price. I personally have 3 binks for various applications and those guns are top notch. Also have a sharpe, my first gun a purchased when i was doing auto body 20 years ago while in highschool. I still use it today and the paint consistensy is great. I have a harbor freight for primer and neighborhood loaner. I would advise to stay away from harbor freight unless you like color sanding. the spray pattern is not uniform. at lease the gun i own is not. you get what you pay for.

I have a good question, I know that hvlp guns don't waste as much paint as traditional paint guns because there is less over spray, and I know that's a big plus because auto paints are very expensive, but do they in fact lay down a better finish? for example better coverage, less runs, smoother finish.

Edited by warrenHLS3083301
spell

I am not sure if it's a better setup to use the HVLP guns but if i remember it correctly when the EPA rule change, you had to use the HVLP guns for automotive paints. From what I recalled when that rule came out, everyone hated the idea but we all had to adapt to it. I believe that the paints is formulated to be painted with HVLP guns, or at lease the paint to reducer to hardner ratio. as to which one lay down a better paint, that has to do with the painter and the gun he is using. And to use today paints, I think you have to mix it differently to use it with the regular gun.

I use the Harbor Freight guns a lot. The cheap $20-30 guns when dialed in work well with primer. I have a Binks and a devilbiss but for the money I cant for the life of me se what the difference is between the HF gravity gun and the Binks. I even shot gel coat for fiberglass with the HF models. You just got to take the time to set them up properly and clean them well.

• 2 weeks later...

SATA is the best in the business. they cost around 650.00 new, you might be able to get a used one on ebay for around 200-300. They are rebuildable and if you plan on painting more cars, it would be a good investment, cause you would have it for life. Also you will need some good inline Filters and regulators so you can control your PSI, very important. If this is a onetime deal, you could find a painter or body-shop and just pay them to spray your car, in a professional paint-booth. maybe would run you $300-400. But if you dont give a ♥♥♥♥ what it will look like then paint your car in the garage with a harbor freight gun.

if you want the best Sata- 600 bucks, or spend 400 and get an iwata, you wont be dissapointed with any of these. but I would only buy them if you plan on painting a lot. For 116 bucks the transtar LVLP gun is awesome. buy one for primer and one for base/clear coat. The big plus its low cfm consumption compared to the sata's so if you have a normal compressor in your garage like most of us do the Transtar will help keep the heat down in your air.