HybridZ

Has anyone ever done a mod like this to an S30? ("B" pillar delete)

Driving down the road the other day and saw a Mercedes with its windows down and I REALLY liked the look. I was wondering if anyone has seen an S30 with a mod like this? I know it would be somewhat difficult to accomplish since you'd have to remove the frame around the window, cut open the area under the rear window and fab some mechanism to go in there. But shiт (ah ha! take that censor robot - human wins again! gotta love the Russian alphabet huh), this is why there are shops out there. So I can go to them and say, this is what I want, here is my check book, get it done.

Pic for reference. I was looking at my Z and I think the rear window could fit without hitting the rear wheel well.

clwindows.jpg

1317113_600.jpg

Yeah except for the rear strut tower being in the way. That back window is pretty easy to remove. I'm not sure how easy it would be to make it so it'll be able to roll down. not to mention you don't want to weaken what little B pillar you do have.

I was going to convert my rear windows to openable ones like on the 2+2. that'll give me more airflow inside the car. that along with my series I hatch should make for quite a lot of ventilation.

that Red 240 is pretty sweet btw...

Just pull the window out. There's no B pillar in a Z. Or the B pillar is what would commonly be the C pillar if you prefer.

yea but if i pull the window out how will I close all my windows. I would want it functional. perhaps have some window switches mounted up on the center console.

that Red 240 is pretty sweet btw...

sweet indeed, but not mine.

You may want to take a look at how the Volkswagon Bugs "popout" windows are set up..I have a 66 with popouts. There is a hinge on the pillar that has I think 8 small screws that go through the aluminum trim.. There other side has a latch that pivots open and shut... You could definately use that system for your z.. hope that helps.

Plastic drop cloth and duct tape.

This guys got the right idea.

You may want to take a look at how the Volkswagon Bugs "popout" windows are set up..I have a 66 with popouts. There is a hinge on the pillar that has I think 8 small screws that go through the aluminum trim.. There other side has a latch that pivots open and shut... You could definately use that system for your z.. hope that helps.

I will check that out thank you. You never know where inspiration will come from.

If I do end up doing this mod, and making it functional (which I would really like, but its not necessary), I would need to figure out how I would make the gap between windows air tight. Perhaps I'll stop by the benz dealership and take some pictures.

"dont worry mr. car sales man, not interested in buying one of these cash vacuums, just checking out their badass engineering. Maybe you'll get a customer next week."

I have been thinking about this albeit 45% of the way to actually doing it...

If I cut the door window frame where it meets the 1/4 window and then attached that cut piece to the 1/4 window and made that 1/4 window-window frame piece manually removable the only problem would be securing the leftover top of the door frame when the door is closed, maybe a hanging stud from the interior of the body where the door frame sits into a hole drilled in the door frame itself.

Does that make sense??

As far as roof support I could just wedge some kind of material between my roll bar and the roof skin...

Edited by dhp123166
addendum

Check out the newer BMW M3s as well they have a motorized version of the rear qtr window pop out.

It might not quite be what you had in mind, but here is something to help you picture the car with no windows at all :)

MVC-834S.jpg

My dad's old '70 car, "The Grey Ghost," backyard drip rail shave and full interior strip including all windows and chrome. this thing was a no-rules-attended, parking lot club racer that had very little wisdom and a whole metric ton of fun :burnout:

MVC-835S.jpg

MVC-836S.jpg

MVC-837S.jpg

MVC-838S.jpg

Diggin the smile :mparty:

Heh, that was a weekend spray job with paint mixed from the ends of eight jobs a friend had done... The smilie was to ensure the paint job didnt stay TOO long. It was only really even sprayed to show up problems with the paint; this car was in primer for like ten, twelve years, hence the name Grey Ghost.

I was going to say, that's G-nose abuse! almost as bad as spilling my beer!

hardly abuse... it was a cheap kit that had been trashed and was resurrected by my father for reasons beyond my comprehension. Still, I guess it WAS a G-nosed Z; can't blame him for taking the opportunity to cross that one off of the "Cars To Drive" list.

Interesting idea. My 300 is a pillarless hardtop, the way Chrysler went about it was to have a stainless steel piece with some felt on it extend out from the edge of the window on both the door and quarter window and have them just overlap each other when the door was closed. The quarter window goes down diagonally instead of straight up and down as well. I don't think there's enough room in the Z quarter panel for that window to go down though- maybe it could slide backwards at an angle into the C-pillar?