HybridZ

Starting MS test install, advice needed

tech9

Going to swap over to my n42 intake, with my 440 injectors on my NA engine now, just to test waters for the new engine install.

I got MS 2 board, and currently running 280zx dissy (non turbo)

Eventually, i'm going to try and get COP / VR crank sensor/ IAC etc going.

My question is, can I run no O2, and no IAC for now? Trying to just do 1 thing at a time, and work up to more things later.

I have the MS2 built, and have it setup for VR right now, was planning on running the 280zx dissy for now, I have a 81 turbo dissy, but I guess it will be even more work to switch?

Other then the TSP hookup / IAT / CLT, what else would I need to get this going? I built the board a few months back, and man did I forget a lot!

Any help appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Matt, this post might be right up your alley,

Almost ready to get the COP using vr crank sensor (derek's setup seems like it will work awesome!) I'm using LS2 coils, which are +5v pullup (I think, hopefully) so it needs the 2N4033 transistor instead of ground switching which just uses a 1k resisitor for the Spark A,B,C correct?

I used the info on this page: http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Ignition.htm#5Vpull

I'm assuming that you build Spark A circuit going to "IGN / pin 36" from top of R26

Spark B going to SPR4 / pin 6 from top of R29

Spark C going to SPR2 / pin 4 from top of R27

No need for spark D

Are there any other mods needed to the board for this to work? I have done the VR input mods already.

Also with these outputs, it will not interfere with my IAC / fan programmed output correct?

Ahh, so you mean hook up the +5v to the coil constant, and use ground switching to "fire" it? or the other way around, which is more complicated of course?

I read a lot of conflicting info, on how LS1/LS2 coils are different, blah blah. I think I got it straight now.

• 2 weeks later...

Typically (if I remember correctly) the injectors will have an indicator on one side for the positive. I think on my 370cc injectors the positive is the pin on the right when looking at the socket on the injector. Which I believe was opposite of the red/black wires in the replacement connectors from DIY Auto Tune.

Thanks for the info guys.

Here is my modded ms board, with a shot of my starting my wiring in the bay.

I did +5v pullup, which was a little more complicated then ground switching, so we will see if it works out for me.

Notice the absence of the dissy!!!

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the first spark from 1 plug at least.

It was very interesting wiring the coils, I installed the caps that are recommended which made the difficulty go way up.

Hopefully I can finish all the coils tomorrow and get the fuel system working.

When moving MS to its location (under passenger seat) there is so much noise on the RPM signal that it does not even spark correctly and just resets a ton.

I'm thinking the Spark A B C need to be separate from the VR sensor signal, or both separate from everything else.

Other then that, it works great! :D

Its on a piece of compressed wood, and so is the relay.

I found its the spark ABC that is causing the issues, as they were running along the power wires for MS, when I moved them it only resets once in a great while, maybe if I jacket those wires we will have it solved.

Also, is it safe to run the fuel pump using the "FP wire" from the relay board? Or should I run a separate power wire from the battery with a relay?