HybridZ

"while I'm at it" is getting to me again.

ZR8ED

I just don't know what it is with me and my Z. I have modded my car enough to make me think twice about driving it "HARD" on the track etc due to the expense of repairing/replacing very expensive and sometimes "one off" custom parts, but I am always thinking of what is next to mod on the car, what cool mod/idea has been developed/discussed here at Hybridz etc.

I'm not toooo worried about it being stolen while I'm parked in lots/friends houses etc due to the car being difficult to conceal, and who would you part it out to, and really, it does not have any serious "value" so I do drive it occasionally to the grocery store, mall, movie theatres, etc and always enjoy crusing with it. (I get lots of thumbs up while driving it)

I have recently thought about selling/trading it for a very clean lightly modded 1st gen, with just a few mods (brakes, springs,shocks, wheels), and just STOP screwing around with it. I used to put 10Km's++ per year on it, and now I'm lucky if I put 1-2K. It sits far more than it did in the past. It does look wicked sitting in the garage though.

I then said to myself that I won't go zedless, so I would need to find a new Z first. Something in the 5-7K$ range would be nice. Hmm then I thought, why don't I just keep it, and have a second Z to drive. Even a mostly stock Z is a lot of fun on the track, and shouldn't break the bank, and let the other beast evolve to somekind of a street/cruise/experimental/custom show car? I don't know. I've been reading about some of the "road trip" z purchases, and it seems like a great adventure, relatively safe for someone familiar with Z's and has lots of contacts.

Any thoughts from some of the other extremely customed/modded z owners? Have you modded it too much now where it has become a very specific use car? In my area we have a street racing law that says if your traveling over 50kph over the limit, you are street racing, car gets impounded on the spot, licence suspension on the spot, and up to a 10K$ fine, so having an extremely fast car seems pretty useless these days. I also worry about having a second z, and trying to divide my time/money between two cars. One costs me enough as it is.

Just thinking out loud here watching it rain, and don't want to take the z out and get it wet..wet equals more rust to fix..Yeeesh!

Scott.

You have described very well why I only have one car now, when I had my project it rarely got driven and I wrenched constantly. Having it as a daily forces me to reevaluate what I am doing. I don't have the resources to support a 2nd car either.

Hang onto your current ride, sounds like your getting bored though.

Evan

I'm thinking of getting a removable steering wheel. While at work, I'll take it with me.

HA!!!

That would be awesome. If you do that, you also need a camera where the speedo goes, so that we can see the look on the would be thieves face when they break in, sit down and realise, OH CRAP, there is no wheel.

ZR8ED.

Even though you don't drive your Z much, I bet you really enjoy those 1-2kmiles a year. I know I do with mine.

Just keep it and accept that it is a special once off car.

I used to drive mine to work as a daily driver in the summers, but now I work too far away, and I prefer to get 46mpg with my sentra...that and it is an auto with air. Great for daily traffic jam.

Funny though. I was thinking of the Z on the weekend while cleaning the dust from the garage (sanding dust is EVERYWHERE). I am taking a break and driving the Z for a while, then I will finish the 2nd part of my bellypan (see my aero thread) in the next week or so. I began thinking of the next things "todo" I want to reconfigure my air intake, as I have a piece of pipe that is very restrictive that goes around my motor mount, that I should tackle. I'm sure it will improve the throttle response. (its pretty nasty looking modded original intake elbow from a z31T) I still plan on redoing the floors, but that will lead to new seat installations as well. (driver floor damaged by a mech not listening to me on how to jack an S30.) :(

I'm entertaining thoughts of another z, but I am not too seriously thinking of selling the Z. I have wayyyy too much invested, for such a small resale value, and I just can't justify it. I guess I should try and source a new local mechanic (my only mech left is a 1hr drive away) Maybe I can get someone else to do the more mundane maintenance, unless I can find another master fabricator that take on some of my larger challenges. That would be great! I know it costs $$$$, but it sure can speed things up, and with proper tools, turn out better than any custom stuff I can do.

Back to the mods... for now.

And on a more positive note, no professional car thief is going to waste his time with our thirty year old + cars.

They have only intrinsic value to us but no monetary value out on the black market.

If I was driving a Honda or Saturn I'd be a little more worried...