HybridZ

T-56 installed on a 77 350 block?

hey everyone i currently have a 700r4 on my z and wanted to change it to a T-56 6 speed tranny.....the block that i got is a later model to be exact its a 77 350 block..so i was wondering will the T-56 bolt right up or would i have to fabricate it in? ive also read that you have to buy a different fly wheel for the T-56 tranny so that it would work? well let me know what you guys know thanks a bunch.

Z fever///

It depends on which t-56 you get for what has to be done. From what I understand, an LT1 t-56 will bolt right up with the correct (and expensive) aftermarket flyweheel. It has to have the front of the LT1 flywheel and the back of the gen I sbc to match the 2 piece rear main.

The Centerforce flywheel is the correct one for the LT1 t56 onto a pre-86 sbc. You will have to use all clutch parts and starter for the 93-97 LT1 camaro/firebird i.e. slave cylinder, pressure plate, disk, throwout bearing because it is a pull type clutch.

Basicly you will need

A clutch for a LT1 T56 camaro/firebird

The flywheel from Centerforce you listed above

A fitting so you can adapt the slave cylinder to a an -3 hose a p/n 604281

Slave cylinder of 3/4" or 7/8" a few differnt people on here like differnt pressures on the pedel.

You can convert the clutch to a push type with a special slave cylnder and a few other parts, I do not rememver all that is needed to convert but I know it is possible.

Some of us with two piece rear main seal, went this route and never looked back. It came with adapter to mount common T5 bell housing. Lightweight chevy nodular iron flywheel 15 lb, Ford f-150 clutch master, and Centerforce gold dual friction has been holding up for over 8 years, 7+ with 383 V8.. Cheap? No, but one of my most reliable purchases.

http://sallee-chevrolet.com/BorgWarner/bwt56.cfm

Top it off iwth a B&M ripper short throw for aftermarket T56 and you'll have a phenominal combination

T56 are very popular swap, but there are easier ways to go with the first generation blocks. I went with the Tremex TKO 600 5 speed. It comes set up just like a early muncie, with a 26 spline shaft and will bolt up to a early 4 speed bell. The fifth gear is .64 overdrive. My zz4 240z (JTR set back mounts) cruises at 70 mph @ 2200 RPM. I love it...My two cents...Good luck with what ever you do..

Edited by Datsunzz4
not done

hey 240zprace.....u talk like u know me...do i know u? i c ur from fresno cali? oh and yea haha taking a little longer than expected...

Not a personal attack, but your text message style of writing isn't going to last here on HybridZ. Use your shift key and quit the shorcuts and you'll avoid the tool shed.

haha ohh thats y i didnt recognize u ahaha ur name says 240z.....lol..what sup man hows ur car...i c your running nitrous now ...thats sweet man, when did u get that installed?....so did u ever raced that young hmong guy with the white ls1/nos in fresno?

oh and i didnt know Vincient is your son..lol when i found out i was like NO WAY///

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

hey everyone i currently have a 700r4 on my z and wanted to change it to a T-56 6 speed tranny.....the block that i got is a later model to be exact its a 77 350 block..so i was wondering will the T-56 bolt right up or would i have to fabricate it in? ive also read that you have to buy a different fly wheel for the T-56 tranny so that it would work? well let me know what you guys know thanks a bunch.

Z fever///

You can purchase a Fidanza 198541 aluminum flywheel from Jegs for $369.99 and may need balance plate Fidanza 624001 for $19.99 from Jegs also, if the engine is externally balanced.  Look at the rear of the flexplate to see if there is a counterweight attached to it.  If so then you will likely need the balance plate. These are low prices.  Also purchase a ball or roller bearing to be pressed into the rear of the crankshaft to accommodate the pilot shaft of the T56 or manual transmission.   The T-56 LT-1 bell housing is an aluminum casting and will bolt up to your engine.  Or if you want to be safer, purchase a Quicktime scatter shield bellhousing part number 9023 such that if the clutch or flywheel explodes and leaves the crankshaft, it won,t saw off your feet and will be contained by the Quicktime STEEL scattershield / bellhousing.