HybridZ

Novice Welder Getting MIG Welder

Greeting,

I'm about to start fabricate metal to replace rust spot on my 240 restoration project. I'm wondering if this welder is good enough for me.

http://www.asedeals.com/lincoln_mig_welders.html

Model: K2185-1 Handy MIG

Spec:

Input Power: 115 / 1 / 60

Rated Output:

Current: 70A

Voltage: 17V

Duty Cycle: 20%

Input Current at Rated Output: 20A

Output Range: 35-88A

WFS While Welding: 0-300 ipm Max. OCV: 29V

Dimensions H x W x D: 12.8" x 8.8" x 18" (325 x 224 x 457)

Net Weight: 46 lbs. (2.9 kg)

Most of the work will be on my 240z, replacing rust spot, replacing floor pan, roof. Or even do my own exhaust fab in the future... I don't want something crazy expensive but good enough for small project.

Is this one ok? I had been reading a lot already and I have decided to get this one, but before I purchase, its always good to get 2nd opinion.

Thanks,

-Voravit

That should Do nicely, What I had trouble with was the welder I borrowed was not very adjustable and wouldn't produce a low enough amperage to weld 22ga steel for body work, but that one should work. I would have another member confirm it though.

I did the mistake and bought a cheap flux core welder only that didnt have much adjustability. It only had a high and a low for the amp setting and then a dial for wire feed. sometimes the low setting wasnt low enough for doing sheet metal and it would burn through. A real pain in the ass. The one your getting has 4 settings but isnt adjustable. might be better but you cant get that perfect setting like you can with a dial.

Id suggest getting one with a dial for the amps.

Aww man, that too bad. I saw brand name such as Lincoln so I jumped on it w/ that kind of price is hard to turn down, no wonder its so cheap lol.

Not trying to be a pain but do you guys mind suggesting couple of machine for me? I don't want to spend more than 400 dollars.

I heard Clarke made decent MIG as well.

Cheers,

-Voravit

Watch craigslist like a hawk, I have seen full lincoln setups with tanks go for 350! Hell I bought my hobart (old unit) and it works freaking great, for $75. You have to remember you will need to go get tanks and welding gas. That stuff adds up.

If you buy a decent welder, odds are its the last one you will own. Save up if you have to, a couple hundred over your budget to buy something really nice to work with will make your life easier and the learning curve easier.

Evan

youll be MUCH happier in the long run with a 220volt 180 amp mig from LINCOLN,MILLER,HOBART or HTP LIKE THESE

yes IM well aware they cost a good deal more! they are WORTH A GREAT DEAL MORE!

and don,t forget the shield gas and gauges, MIG welding REQUIRES those, and its usually SUPERIOR and cleaner than FLUX CORE WELDING

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/migvsfluxcored.asp

http://www.htpweld.com/products/mig_welders/mig_160.html

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_180_autoset/

http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WD&Product_Code=K2473-1

http://www.brwelder.com/indextemplate.cfm?file=shop/detail.cfm&ID=1022&SubCategory=10

Edited by grumpyvette

Thanks a lot guys, there are some nice used top brand for sales here in Houston, but I'm scared of buying it used lol! they looked terrible in the picture since I have almost ZERO clue what to watch out for on the used welder.

I think I may have to spend up a bit I guess to get some decent machine :icon53::ugg::ugg::icon53:.

Thanks

-Voravit

I bought my Lincoln 180 on ebay for less than $450 shipped. You just have to find the right auction at the right time. Most of them are less than $500, though. Using this welder is a joy. I repaired floor pans in my 240 with my friends cheap welder, and it was a real pain in the ass. I thought I had no welding skills, turns out it was just a really crappy welder.

Its true with me. I learned on my cheap ass welder and I got to where im pretty decent but nothing that would be considered "good or great". I then picked up a nice mig and started welding on my friends car and wow. It was like night and day. I went from rough uneven welds with alot of burn throughs to being able to pull nice even beads good even penetration and looked very very good in my opionion. It will be worth your money to buy a good welder.

I have the 220 volt Lincoln welder, I previously had the 120 volt. Both are the infinitely adjustable feed and voltage.

I highly suggest using 0.020 with c25(argon & CO2 mix), with Lincoln consumables. There is a pretty big difference in weld quality, at least to me, with the cheap wire and the properly packaged Lincoln wire.

The 220 volt is an incredible machine and is capable of much more than it appears to.

Though I only have one 220volt plug in at both the shop and house so I had to invest in a rather expensive extension cord... $270 for 50 feet, though I made it myself.

OK guys,

I got my Lincoln 180HD :D wooo! Sooo for first time welder replacing floor panel, should I practice on Flux Core ??? Or jump to MIG, I still have to get a gas tank for MIG app. as well.

-Voravit

get the tank/gauges theres really no contest in weld quality between MIG and flux core

I first had a 120v 2 setting peice of ♥♥♥♥, I did a lot of work with it. Sold it for about what a payed a year or two later and picked up a 220v from the discount tool store, best 200 bucks i ever spent. Its flux core but has a amp range from 30 to 110 or so (in 4 steps), 30 amp setting works great for a lot of stuff, sheet metal, pipes, tubes ect. Dont feel like because its a 120 volt its gonna suck, Lincoln makes good stuff (it says its 20A input so it might not be a standard 15 amp plug) but if your looking for a cheap welder you can probably get a 220v from another company for the same price or less, look for used too. I'd be happy welding sheet with anything possessing an amp setting in the 20-30 range.

I first had a 120v 2 setting peice of ♥♥♥♥, I did a lot of work with it. Sold it for about what a payed a year or two later and picked up a 220v from the discount tool store, best 200 bucks i ever spent. Its flux core but has a amp range from 30 to 110 or so (in 4 steps), 30 amp setting works great for a lot of stuff, sheet metal, pipes, tubes ect. Dont feel like because its a 120 volt its gonna suck, Lincoln makes good stuff (it says its 20A input so it might not be a standard 15 amp plug) but if your looking for a cheap welder you can probably get a 220v from another company for the same price or less, look for used too. I'd be happy welding sheet with anything possessing an amp setting in the 20-30 range.

My lincoln 220v (model 180c) uses the 50amp plug, same as most dryers/electric range. Nice thing with the 220, my lights don't flicker like they do with 110 volt welders.