HybridZ

Bad advice.

jasper

I have been seeing a very disconcerting trend.

BAD ADVICE!!!

I've been seeing a lot of noobs asking some very basic questions. I've also seen a few more seasoned members asking questions that need some common sense/research.

The bad part comes when members offer advice off the cuff/or with severe lack of knowledge. Bad, Bad, and wrong.

For the good of novices, who have a lot to learn, intermediate who have a bit to learn, and experienced guys, who know they don't know everything, this should stop.

Unless you know your attempted suggestion is factual, don't offer it as such!!!

The last thread I contributed to, suggested a guy rebuild his engine.Take a look!!!

It's very nice to help......but,,,, DON"T OFFER BAD ADVICE/CONJECTURE..

Some members need to reflect on their level of EXPERIENCE prior to attempting to help others.

Requests for credentials will be met with relevant experience/schooling/etc.

BTW....I worked on 8 different cars today. AND I also destroyed an engine today as part of the clunkers for cash program.........Tommy

Oh yea, well I think the BESTest car in the world is the zx and ya all should sell me your 240z's for next to nothing!

And the r200 is nowhere strong enough.

The fuel pump wiring is fine, hell so is the fuel pump.

You SHOULD use poly on the t/c rods, it is also the best.

Fire extinguishers are for sallys.

The p79 head is the bestest!

I swear the l engine is made from discarded Japanese beer cans and has very little potential.

110mm tb, with a no. 1000000000000000000000000000000001 cap makes 840 at the muffler!

All comments were made with deep reflection and serious introspectively and therefore IS the BEST!;)

The last thread I contributed to, suggested a guy rebuild his engine.Take a look!!!

Are you talking about the guy with the flooded engine and then every one started to tell him that his car needed new rings?? If so I went off on those guys in that thread. I hope he figured out who was setting him down the right path. I completely agree that people need to keep there mouths shut if they dont actually know what they are talking about.

Factory certified Ducati and Yamaha Technician. Plus 4 years of HS AUTO tech. lol among other mech jobs in the auto/marine field

The first philosophical imperative is to not speak about things of which you have no knowledge.

Unfortunately, this is why I don't like the minimum post requirement on classifieds posts... I don't have the experience with these cars to answer questions (only had an S30 for a few weeks now, all of my experience is with VG30DETT-equipped Z32's), and I certainly don't have enough questions to warrant 40 posts, so it'll be forever before I can post a for sale ad. lol

• Administrators

Moral is;

If one wants to help, great. Everyone wants to be able to help and everyone appreciates help! But to just offer up willy nilly advice because it "sounds" like the right thing, especially advice that can and will dramatically affect that persons bank account if that person buys into the willy nilly advice given?! noway.gif

The person asking the question isn’t wanting a bunch of hypothetical possibilities from a bunch of bench-racers that "want" to help, he is digging for sound advice! His actions towards his dilemma will be based on the advice given, as such, KNOW before offering advice! zitto.gif

In a perfect world, absolutely right!

But this is the internet...beware.

And how good a diagnosis can one expect to receive if the person giving the diagnosis is only working from a description of the problem and at best can look at a bunch of pictures or even a video of the car in question?

I'm not saying it can't be done, it just might make things more difficult to get a correct diagnosis.

I like your Oprah solution...

The main problem when giving advice is that you don't really know the level of skill and knowledge of the person you are advising. Often, there is a base level of knowledge that must be achieved prior to tackling more complex subjects. If the pilot that is trying to fly your plane does not know which way to move the stick to make the plane go up and down, telling him that he needs to get out of the stall, won't help. He will probably next ask, "Stall? Where is the barn?"

I personally think that hybridz is better than the rest of the sites on the internet and its up to the members to keep it that way. That includes taking the responsibility to keep your mouth shut when you dont actually know what your talking about. Just because your "wanting" to help doesnt mean your actually helping. Id love to help on a formula 1 racing team. But the truth of the matter is that id probably just be in the way.

Someone here once asked the question of how to take the carbeurator off his engine.

I simply answered that if he couldn't look at it and see what needed to be done, perhaps he should have somebody else do it....

I didn't want to be mean or nasty, but come on, on a non fuelie engine, everything is right out in front of you and not much is a mystery....

The main problem when giving advice is that you don't really know the level of skill and knowledge of the person you are advising. Often, there is a base level of knowledge that must be achieved prior to tackling more complex subjects. If the pilot that is trying to fly your plane does not know which way to move the stick to make the plane go up and down, telling him that he needs to get out of the stall, won't help. He will probably next ask, "Stall? Where is the barn?"

Part II:

Telling him to rebuild the turbines when the galley runs out of coffee won't help much either.

WHAT?! Were out of Coffee? DANG! Better go rebuild the Turbines, AGAIN!!

Don't waste you're time, you've obviously been running the GR55.4432x turbines and those were the crappy ones made in the early 70's. That's why you've been running out of coffee. If you switch to the infinitely better GR55.4444x series, than you will have a much better brew. Though be warned, they only came on two models for 6 months total and only made like 10 of them, but they're so much better they're worth the quadruple price so you should save up because you're just going to have to do it eventually.

The main problem when giving advice is that you don't really know the level of skill and knowledge of the person you are advising. Often, there is a base level of knowledge that must be achieved prior to tackling more complex subjects

Agreed.

How someone thinks "posting", usually tells a lot of the level of the subjects mind.

When you know a lot though, you can easily over look the obvious.

In person I will say something like "bear with me, lets start a the beginning".

Did you do........................etc.