HybridZ

Z31 shocks/struts

Hartspank

Hey guys, I'm the proud new owner of an '88 turbo. It's a really nice car but it rides like a hoopty! It has the electronic controlled suspension that I'm guessing doesn't work. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice on what shock/spring combo works well or what to avoid? Should I look for replacement factory parts? Did the factory system work well? I'm looking for something that's not too harsh on the road but will handle nice on the country twisties.

The PO of my Z31 put non-electronic struts in my car and I think that is one of the main causes of my squat/roll issues. That and stock springs.

Not sure how brand new electronic struts would pan out, the trailing arm suspension is not ideal to begin with.

Good luck and tell me how your new suspension stuff works out - I need to update mine eventually.

If you want to freshen up your electronic stuff, look at $2000+ from the dealership, if it's even available anymore.

Depending on what kind of upgrade you're looking for, you could do tokico HP (blues) and eibach springs for a mild refresher, or to go all out you can go bilstein struts, z3r springs (z31parts.com) and a full polyurethane bushing refresh.

Don't go with Tokico lowering springs, they give the car a horrible raked look.

I have Eibach pro kit springs and KYB shocks and struts on my 87 Turbo. I like the combination. If you want an adjustable suspension, the only affordable option for turbo cars only is Tokico Illuminas.

The factory electronic units are no longer available new anywhere. (unless you can find a forgotten set in the dusty back room of a parts department somewhere. Plan on paying at least 2K as mention above.

• 3 months later...