HybridZ

Installing GC Camber Plates using a Template

Years ago Ground Control provided templates with their camber plates, something you would reasonably expect, and I'm dumbfounded as to why they've stopped including them.

Using a template is not the only way, but for me it's the easiest and most accurate way to install these high quality puppies.

So when I got the plates for my '73 I made a template, all the while muttering some foul words about GC's intransigence. If you would like a copy of the template, please PM me.

Next, I positioned the aluminum plate under the strut tower to see where it wanted to go, where it will eventually reside. You can't tell by the pic but it'll only go right there, it's snug to the tower at the point and sides. I then matched that position with the cut out template on top of the tower, taped it down and made sure it was pointing exactly to the other tower. I used a straight edge, but I suppose you could use a length of string.

Centerpunch at the crosshairs for the four mounting bolts.

Trace the cut out with a marker that will show up. Or, instead of a marker you could use a scribe. You're ready to cut. If you have access to one, use an air saw. Even a cheapie from Harbor Freight works well, it's fast and accurate. I tidied up with an air die grinder and hand file.

Camber to the people!

Steve

IMG_0945.jpg

Ground Control pieces parts.

IMG_0970.jpg

240Z template, you know, cut on the curvy dotted line.

IMG_0919.jpg

Tool of choice, an air saw.

IMG_0900.jpg

Flip side of a '73 strut tower.

IMG_0952.jpg

Tower marked and mounting holes center punched.

IMG_0960.jpg

About one hour later.

IMG_0962.jpg

Camber happens!

A heads up for those requesting a template. You'll be getting one on 65 lb. paper, the heaviest stuff I could coax through my copier. I didn't want it to be all floppy and inaccurate after being cut out. I used a single edge razor blade to cut mine, but an x-acto or similar would work too.

Steve

I ended up leaving more material by slotting the tower and removing as little as possable.

8-20-09004.jpg

It is amazing how many other ways that people have done this. There are a few out there with the "backing" plate mounted on top. My directions did not include a template. I still have to do the rears, and I maybe looking for your template :mrgreen:

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to let you guys know, I spoke with Zzeal and he sent me a copy of his template via mail. I scanned it into .pdf format...printed it out to verify that it is the same size and it is exact to his original. He said it was fine for me to post it here, that he just wanted to help people out.

If anyone wants a copy in .pdf format send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll forward you a copy. I'd love to upload it and put it in the downloads section of the site but the forum doesn't accept .pdf attachments.

Make it a Zip file, then post it?

Edit: just looked in the downloads directory, the first post includes a .pdf file.

I guess when I had tried uploading a .pdf file before it was too big. Zzeal's template is now uploaded as a .pdf in the Downloads section.

• 6 months later...

I've gotten a couple PM's from people asking for a copy of the .pdf format of this template. Here is a link to the .pdf I made of Zzeal's template in the downloads section: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/83090-ground-control-camber-plate-template-download/

Please don't PM me for copies unless you can't download it from there, thanks.

Edited by junglist