HybridZ

Look at the turbo I just won!!!

We'll see how things turn out. I'm no different than anyone else who buys on ebay. You take your chances. One thing is 100% though, I will not loose a penny on this purchase. I use my AMEX card when I buy off ebay :2thumbs:

BTW, I would use the same pics too if I had more than one to sell, so that does not alarm me :D

Everything will work out... watch.:cheers:

Well, let us know when it shows up. If the condition is good enough, I'll probably pick one up from him (especially if you discover that the electronic connections on it are only sensors, and that it's all oil controlled.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see how things turn out. I'm no different than anyone else who buys on ebay. You take your chances. One thing is 100% though, I will not loose a penny on this purchase. I use my AMEX card when I buy off ebay :2thumbs:

BTW, I would use the same pics too if I had more than one to sell, so that does not alarm me :D

Everything will work out... watch.:cheers:

Great idea my man, AMEX! If its not right, pull the plug and get your money back. I bet its all good though.

Cool. You just saved some money on your build. and a gecko had nothing to do with it. lol

here is something you may want down the road.

http://delphi.com/manufacturers/cv/powertrain/sensors-actuators/smart-remote/

holsetvgt.jpg

holsetvgt2.jpg

I figured you may want to look at that too. good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by BRAAP
Multiples combined...

That diagram and the actuator are actually for the HE351VE I believe. The Holset uses the moving plate with fixed blades; the Garrett (IIRC) uses a series of moving vanes instead to control boost.

Also, I think alot of those sensors are to figure out when the turbo should be acting as an engine brake. The problem for gassers is figuring out which info isn't needed (or just how to control it in general).

That diagram and the actuator are actually for the HE351VE I believe. The Holset uses the moving plate with fixed blades; the Garrett (IIRC) uses a series of moving vanes instead to control boost.

Also, I think alot of those sensors are to figure out when the turbo should be acting as an engine brake. The problem for gassers is figuring out which info isn't needed (or just how to control it in general).

Is this Holset like what you had in mind?

11001472243924658.th.jpg

Auction> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380153174854&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ebayphotohosting

I.....have no idea, to be honest. The P/Ns that they list don't match up with other HE351VEs that I've seen, and the exhaust inlet bolt measures are off as well. That is a VE turbo, but I just don't know what size...One possibility is that it's off of the earlier...5.9? liter diesels instead of the newer 6.7s, but I don't know for sure if they had VGTs on those....wierd, now I'm going to have to do more digging.

Though, TBH, at that price, it almost doesn't matter what it came off of. Now to see if it stays low....(probably not, but oh well)

I.....have no idea, to be honest. The P/Ns that they list don't match up with other HE351VEs that I've seen, and the exhaust inlet bolt measures are off as well. That is a VE turbo, but I just don't know what size...One possibility is that it's off of the earlier...5.9? liter diesels instead of the newer 6.7s, but I don't know for sure if they had VGTs on those....wierd, now I'm going to have to do more digging.

Though, TBH, at that price, it almost doesn't matter what it came off of. Now to see if it stays low....(probably not, but oh well)

I have two HE351VEs and that turbo looks just like them. AFAIK the 5.9 never came with a VGT, just the 6.7. Holset also makes a HE341VE but I don't know in what application.

If you remove that motor/electronics box from the turbo theres literally just a lever that could be hooked up to a WG actuator controlled by a fast acting solenoid.

why a fast solenoid? Wouldn't that only give you two options? Open and closed? The advantage of the VGT is that you can have it open *as* boost comes on. Personally, I'm going to hook it up to a mechanical WG actuator that will start moving the plate/vanes at ~10psi manifold pressure.

The fast acting solenoid allows you to control the pressure to the WG actuator (and therefore the position of the VGT) very simply with a stand alone engine management. This method of controlling boost is used by many OEMs using conventional turbo chargers.

Here's a description stolen from another forum....

n75.jpg

grok

I've seen you use this word several times now, asked my english major wife, and we still couldn't figure it out. Finally google/wiki to the save. For everyone else here's the meaning of that word.

"To grok (pronounced /ˈɡrɒk/) is to share the same reality or line of thinking with another physical or conceptual entity"

Back to the turbo thread.

It seems as if a basic program could control something similar to a stepper motor. The stepper motor would act as your actuator. One of those at "x"-RPM open "Y" amount.

BTW, I forgot to mention the deal I got on a brand new GT35r with two exhaust housings for $900 shipped... :)

He ended the auction for me and let me have it for the deal above ^^ :burnout:

20090827204410.th.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120462904683&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

BTW, I forgot to mention the deal I got on a brand new GT35r with two exhaust housings for $900 shipped... :)

He ended the auction for me and let me have it for the deal above ^^ :burnout:

20090827204410.th.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120462904683&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Some people collect stamps...what wusses when you can collect turbos......right?

The turbine wheel on the HE351VE is titanium....is that aerospace enough for ya?

Generally speaking, you are right about the vanes not standing up. This is mostly regarding the Garrett VNT turbos as they have a more delicate design with more moving parts. There is hardly anyone running the Holset VGTs as far as I know so I'll refrain from making actual reliability claims, but the design seems much more robust.