HybridZ

Before vs. After New paint and body work

wheelman

Here are a couple shots of before and after the body work and paint I just finished this last weekend.

The paint is primer and the front fenders turned out a little bit lighter than the rest of the car. I'll go back and paint them again later.

Before:

Z_Before.jpg

After:

Z_After.jpg

It's certainly not perfect but it turned out alright for doing all the painting in the driveway or garage.

I'm debating whether to put the front bumper on or not, what do you guys think?

Disco,

Thats a good idea, hadn't thought of doing that.

If I paint the front I'll paint the rear as well.

Question: The bumpers are chrome, if I paint them should I scuff them up first with 220 or 400 grit so the paint will adhere?

Edit: A guy on a different forum suggested a red pin stripe to separate and accent to two colors. I think it would look real sharp but it's not going to happen for a while if I do it at all.

yeah id have to say a pinstripe would look good as well but id say

but yea just 220 to really dig in to the bumper then 400 to smooth it out for paint

followed by prep spray and paint and you should be great

and i really like your rims what are they and what size offset if you know it?

Hey Ken, haven't seen too many posts from you for quite a while. The primered paint job is a nice improvement. It looks like you have a good autocross setup, are you still taking her out to the parking lot for workouts?

P.S. - I think it would look better with bumpers.

Hey Ken, haven't seen too many posts from you for quite a while. The primered paint job is a nice improvement. It looks like you have a good autocross setup, are you still taking her out to the parking lot for workouts?

P.S. - I think it would look better with bumpers.

Hey Bart,

Yeah, I've been more of a lurker lately. Not a lot of posts but I try to keep up on whats been going on.

I haven't been running the Z this season as I've been doing the body work. Last year I tried to work on and race it simultaneously, got tired of tearing it down, doing a little work, putting it back together, racing it and then repeating the process so I decided to race my 240SX this season. Plus I didn't have the $1000.00 or so for race tires, it'll definitely be on the track next season though. In fact I'm taking it up to Spokane this coming weekend for an auto-x event at Deer Park. It'll be it's debut in the color scheme. I don't anticipate doing very well as my tires are SHOT but I know I'll have a good time which is the whole point.

I think I'll go with painting the bumpers.

I'm leaning more towards the dark gray than black, any opinions?

Already have 1 vote for black from Scott_M67.

Edit: Disco, The rims are Diamond Racing rims. 16x9.5" front 16x10" rear, not sure of offset but I have to use a 1" thick spacer on the rears. The rims are steel and pretty heavy. If I was looking for rims again i wouldn't get 16", they're just not well supported in race tire sizes unless I moved to road race hoosiers which aren't good for auto-x (take to long to build good heat). I got these from Braap along with the tires for a great price so I'm satisfied and I can run Kumho V710s or Hoosier A6s.

Now it just needs a big intercooler in the front.***hint hint***lol

Ah, don't think so, with the LT1 in there its easy enough to swap out the cam and a set of heads to make alot more HP. As it is I'm putting 275 to the ground with over 300 ft/lbs of torque. Besides I really don't like the looks of a big intercooler on the front and don't want the PSSST sound of a blow off valve.

Challenger,

Thats pretty funny, A few guys on my autocross club web site said I should do that to mine. Put a red pinstripe where the 2 colors meet and around the outer part of my rims. I think it would look really sharp.

BTW: I painted and mounted the bumpers yesterday, I'll post some more pics as soon as I get them off the camera. Not sure I like them yet but I'm getting more used to the look. Haven't had the front one on the car in over 5 years so right now it looks wrong to me. I did some research and found out to be street legal I really need to have them mounted.

OK, Here is a picture with the bumpers installed. I really need to repaint the front fenders with the same brand primer as the rest of the car.

zwithbumpers.jpg

I think it looks much better with the bumpers. The front bumper splits the grille and makes it look smaller and fills the indents between the fenders and the front air dam. It looks more finished and aerodynamic.

Like you said, now you just need to get the front fenders paint to match.