HybridZ

difference between 240 and 260 & up racks

I'm trying to stick with using stock parts just swapping them.

So whats the deal on the cast iron 260 and up rack

does it have a slower ratio?

does the 240 have a faster ratio? or just fast/ better quick steering knuckles?

and did any of the rack come lube points?

i have seen it on some 240 racks in person but can;t find one on my 260 rack!

yea its just a pain in the ass

I found on my 8th try go fig!

The 260 received slower steering rack and pinion and the pinion housing was cast iron vs the 240’s aluminum. (The rack and pinion may have been and early to late 260 change, someone else here would know for sure).

any more info?

Yes, there are several differences:

1. The housing material changed from cast aluminum to cast iron.

2. The pinion shaft support changed from a [ball] bearing and bushing to two [ball] bearings.

3. The outside diameter of the rack support area increased, thus requiring different bushings on the front crossmember.

4. The oil filler maintenance ports were eliminated.

5. The steering ratio changed from 15.8 to 18.0.

6. The rubber rack boots mounting was changed from a rubber band to a screw clamp.

So the thing is better to get the old 240z rack or to get quick knuckles ?

The 260 received slower steering rack and pinion and the pinion housing was cast iron vs the 240’s aluminum. (The rack and pinion may have been and early to late 260 change, someone else here would know for sure).

any more info?

Yes, there are several differences:

1. The housing material changed from cast aluminum to cast iron.

2. The pinion shaft support changed from a [ball] bearing and bushing to two [ball] bearings.

3. The outside diameter of the rack support area increased, thus requiring different bushings on the front crossmember.

4. The oil filler maintenance ports were eliminated.

5. The steering ratio changed from 15.8 to 18.0.

6. The rubber rack boots mounting was changed from a rubber band to a screw clamp.

Your info here is very timely for me - thanks for posting a followup! My Z, a '72, is very difficult to manhandle around at low speeds. I've been looking at ways to "gentrify" the thing - make it more user friendly - and this may be an easy improvement.

so i'm lost which is a quicker rack the old Z or the newer Z =(

What I read in this thread would indicate that the early rack has a quicker ratio.

I haven't heard of any of this, until I read this thread.

I'll have to take a closer look at my rack, since I haven't noticed any "service ports".

new update! did know the FSM had the ratios in them! opps!

and since i have all the 240 and the big 260z book

turns out the 240's came with 17.8 :1 and the 260 came with a 18:1 both had same lock to lock! So looks like i'll just be adding the speed knuckles and looking for a way to grease up the rack with out taking it apart...

Taking the rack apart isn't that hard to do and you could clean up the old grease that's probably gotten a little nasty. On my previous car that made a large difference to the steering feel. The old grease was more like wax.

Cary