HybridZ

Head stud length

lifegrddude

So I was trying to teach my neighbor's son a little about car work, and I'm in the middle of doing a head gasket swap. I managed to get the head off (I have ARP studs, more on that in a bit) and I was showing him how the various parts of a head work and all the other parts that we pulled off like the manifolds, turbo, etc.

I go inside to use the restroom and grab a soda, and when I came back out, the kid had decided to "help" by removing the studs from the block Needless to say I gave him a lesson on don't touch without asking haha. =) I can't seem to find my FSM, so can someone let me know which holes the longer studs go in, and which ones the shorter ones go in? Thank you very much! Next time I will take reference pics to avoid situations like this! =P

I'm assuming that's a question for me.

Piston heads were fine as best I could tell. You can see the dirty / clean versions in the picture above. I don't know what the ring lands are.... No scoring on the cylinder walls though.

I accidentally ran waaay too much timing - I botched my MS / VR Distributor lock out - and blew the gasket after some serious pinging.

That gasket is from MSA. Here's the one that blew... I'm not seeing a big difference??

100_0360.sized.jpg

Those brown patches on your old HG are where there are a series of steam port holes on my genuine Nissan HG. From what I know, if steam pockets are allowed to build up, without suitable release through the holes, local hot spots form and can compromise the integrity of the HG. (Why cast 'em into the head and block if they're not needed is my way of thinking :icon56:)

Genuine L28 gasket below, aftermarket version above (see pic)

DSC00738_thumb.JPG