HybridZ

In '70 a new Z cost $3500, was it a screamin' hot deal?

Zzeal

Yeah, It was a heck of a buy. It would be like getting a hot, new, imported sports car today for under $20,000 wouldn't it?, because that $3500 in 1970 is the equivalent to $19,517 in today's dollars. (Dollartimes.com)

I remember the Datsun dealers being swamped by Z buyers, even a good friend of mine bought one.

But I'm not buying it, these equivalency / inflation charts can't be entirely accurate, there's gotta be something else in the mix. The '70 car was attractively priced but nowhere near like a $20K offering would be today. A new 370Z starts at $30K!

Any economists out there?, please chime in.

I bought my '70 in 2002 for $3500. :-)

The other element of your equation is competition. Back in the 70's there was a lot more competition between all of the makes. Now, there is much stronger make and model recognition, resulting in cars selling what they are perceived to be worth, as opposed to what it costs to make them. Chevy, for example, tells you what the Corvette is worth and isn't about to drop it down in price to compete with the ecplises, WRXs, RSXs... oh, and not to mention the field is too big to try to price competitively with everyone.

Guest Rolling Parts
Yeah, It was a heck of a buy. It would be like getting a hot, new, imported sports car today for under $20,000 wouldn't it?, .

Not really. The Z was an awfully BASIC simple car.

Imported sports cars today have more exotic materials, serious electronic controls, and not to mention great comfort and safety for a driver.

You can't really compare a simple iron straight 6 Z with steel wheels and hubcaps to modern sports imports and simply extrapolate price for inflation. There is a LOT more built into cars today.

Not really. The Z was an awfully BASIC simple car.

Imported sports cars today have more exotic materials, serious electronic controls, and not to mention great comfort and safety for a driver.

You can't really compare a simple iron straight 6 Z with steel wheels and hubcaps to modern sports imports and simply extrapolate price for inflation. There is a LOT more built into cars today.

Different markets. 240Zs were not really pitched to the Hot Rod or 1/4 miler crowd. In 1970 it was a sophisticated ,technically advanced, and good looking sports car. The only coupes I recall from the era that had OHC, disc brakes, independent rear suspension, or 4 speed and such were very pricey: Those of us that lusted after the big Austin Healey 6, Porsche 356A,B, or C, Jaguar 150 or "E" and could not afford to buy the tool kits for these cars could buy a Z and look good in their company.

Pretty much the same story with the 510. I bought a '70 510 tudor for 1800.00. Another $500 to a USAF loadmaster for an SS head assembly with "SUs" and exhaust manifold and I was ready for any BMW1600 or 2002 I could find on on highway 40 up to Lake Tahoe.

The Z, in my opinion, was a great buy: the "dime" an even better one.

g

Guest Rolling Parts
Different markets. ... In 1970 it was a sophisticated ,technically advanced, and good looking sports car.

Good looking but at the expense of poor aerodynamics (like all 70's cars).

Technically advanced in 1970 is a stretch, it just made good use of what parts were available but did not break any new ground.

It was "sophisticated" in that it at least would be reliable enough to make a weekend trip and be assured that you could make it back without breaking out a tool kit.

I think that the beautyof the design was that it was designed as light as possible using simple steel stampings, had a reliable 6 cylinder engine, and avoided all the goofy styling ques of the 2000GT, MGB, and TR6 and 7's.

The car just worked.

Too bad it can not be duplicated in today's market because aerodynamics, safety requirements, power expectations, emissions and committees. Closest thing to lightweight pure fun would be the Lotus (but it's a tad more than $20,000).

I bought my '71 new off the showroom floor. At the time, the Z was so popular that there was a nine month waiting list. It was possible to buy your way to the top of the list, which is what I did. I had just returned from a year and a half overseas and needed wheels. I paid about $700 over sticker to buy the only Z in stock.

Paying over the sticker price was generally unheard of in those days. But, the Z was hot and it was all about supply and demand. That same Z sits in my driveway as I write this. I suppose that extra $700 amortized over the last 38 year works out to about $1.60 a month. I can live with that.

Dennis

In todays dollars the corvette is a steal... considering it smokes euro 'super' cars costing twice as much and more.

You're buying the name not the car. Not everyone that owns a Corvette can own a Ferrari, but everyone who owns a Ferrari can own a Corvette, that sort of thing.

Here in keller you are nothing if you have a Corvette. Everyone owns one.

Guest Rolling Parts
Here in keller you are nothing if you have a Corvette. Everyone owns one.

Just like a Z car, it depends.

A 1963 split window Corvette is desirable and a great classic.

A 1969 240Z series 1 in mint condition will stop traffic in front of your house.

On the other hand a 1998 C5 Corvette or a 2005 350z are so common as to be nearly invisible when parked.

The Z and the Corvette are both mass produced cars for the unwashed masses (while the Ferrari never sought mass production or affordability). What make a Z special today are really the early ones that started the product line.

10 minutes ago I had trouble leaving a business because someone walked up to my car and wanted to talk my ear off about how great my 240Z looked and how he always wanted one. You just don't get that gut reaction from people when you're driving a 350Z.

Just like a Z car, it depends.

A 1963 split window Corvette is desirable and a great classic.

A 1969 240Z series 1 in mint condition will stop traffic in front of your house.

On the other hand a 1998 C5 Corvette or a 2005 350z are so common as to be nearly invisible when parked.

The Z and the Corvette are both mass produced cars for the unwashed masses (while the Ferrari never sought mass production or affordability). What make a Z special today are really the early ones that started the product line.

10 minutes ago I had trouble leaving a business because someone walked up to my car and wanted to talk my ear off about how great my 240Z looked and how he always wanted one. You just don't get that gut reaction from people when you're driving a 350Z.

True. Of course there are some cool cars of every model. If you have a Corvette thats raped or a classic one then yah thats cool, but the C5 C6 Z06 or whatever they're doing with the newer models, not my type because well... like I said everyone has one. The classics always bring back the memories and such.

Except for:

Studebaker-Avanti-II-gold-fa-le.jpg

Avanti must die. Abortion of a car. Some dude drives his as the pace car for CVAR and Dad was like OH COOL MAN LOOK AT THAT. No, I wanted to die its so ugly.

Avanti must die. Abortion of a car. Some dude drives his as the pace car for CVAR and Dad was like OH COOL MAN LOOK AT THAT. No, I wanted to die its so ugly.

The Avanti in your photo is an Avanti II, not a Studebaker original, and has a little clutter added to the front end that tends to ugly it up.

Unless you've hand washed an original 1963 or 1964 Avanti and felt the Loewy designed curves ( there are NO straight lines on the fiberglass body), you can't really appreciate the design. BTW, the '63 supercharged Avanti in my garage is available for washing :)

Dennis

'71 Datsun 240Z

'70 Porsche 914-6

'63 Studebaker Avanti R2

I don't buy clothes based on name brand... and I don't buy (or like) cars based on name brand. Function over fashion. I'm not a rapper, or a hollywood actor, so when you can buy the same fun or more (doesn't matter the car or make), for a LOT less money, then you'd be stupid not to.

Bad example for you guys... 04 WRX STI is cheaper than an 04 Audi RS4, but the STI is faster? Which would you buy? I'd buy the STI, its more reliable, cheaper to maintain, easier to get parts for, has more potential for upgrades too... Now the Vette may be dime a dozen, one on every corner, BUT with the money you saved you can build one that is NOT average, and could potentially make ferrari owners stare...