Progress pics - JDM Z32 tails on my S130; could use some photoshop help as well

zeeboost

Yay or nay on the taillights?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or nay on the taillights?

• Looks interesting - I can't wait to see it finished
    • Meh, maybe it will grow on me...I'll give it some time first
    • BURN IT!! SEND IT BACK TO HELL!!!

I've always liked the style of the Z32 lights, it's just their convex shape that makes them a PITA to look "proper" on a Z. However, I think Dan Juday and new240z pulled them off very well. I ordered these taillights a week ago and told my bodyshop to call me when they received them - this way I could hold them up to the rear and figure out the best way to attack this. A couple of days had passed after the projected shipped date, so I called them to check in on it. Once I asked him if the taillights came in, he told me that they already had one molded in and were working on the second one. Well crap...so I drove down there to find this:

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

*Note, there's still a little bit of tape at the bottom of the taillight, so that's why it looks a little rippled.

They used the factory taillight cutouts to mount these in, but IMO they're too low - I think I'd like them raised a bit. Plus, the way they angled the light gives it a funky-looking curve...so I'm not sure what to do here. They keep assuring me that once the rear is painted black, they won't look as awkward. Also, they said they could smoke the taillights a bit to help blend them in, which I'm not too sure about anyways.

If someone could photoshop the rear of car black, minus the bumper, I'd appreciate it.

Opinions are welcome, obviously. I have mixed feelings about it - it's like, I see potential, but don't think it'll look decent with their current position.

Since everyone's posting paint pictures, I might as well add one - they have the engine bay sprayed:

DSC00050.jpg

Well, it does seem to hide the awkward lines a bit more. Could you do another and leave the bumper primered? Thanks Drax!

*edit* I just re-read the original post, and by, "If someone could photoshop the rear of car black, minus the bumper, I'd appreciate it" I meant to photoshop the rear of the car above the bumper, and leave the bumper itself alone and primered, as I'm planning on painting it silver. I can see how easy it is to mis-interpret that, though - my mistake!

Interesting, What was very interesting was that I had the same idea as your but when I did my photo shop on the rear of my car it looked so bad ass but guest what...the scale was wrong.

Now I see you put it on and they were quiet big...I'm not so sure anymore if I like it. 50/50 at the moment.

I may have to look into other tail light.

I guess I'll sign in on this one.

First thanks for the kind words reguarding my rear end.:redface:

"Awkward". This is what I struggled with as well. The rear sheet metal of the S30 (and S130 as well) is just not shaped like the rear of the Z32. I tried several interations, positioning the taillights for weeks before I gave up. They all just looked awkward, pasted on. In the end I cut the entire rear sheet metal off below the hatch and formed a new rear end around the taillights.

The trick for me was to start with the lights, get them straight and level, and make the rear end fit them. Not the other way around.

Sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear, especially after the body shop has jumped ahead of you (how often do you hear that?). Lot's of guys have asked me about this swap and I've discouraged everyone. It's a ton of work to make it look right. And if your paying a body man, a ton of money too.

I'm very happy with the end results. But knowing what I know now I wouldn't attempt it again.

I think it's an interesting idea, but it will look a million times better if you use real JDM Z32 tails instead of the cheap eBay knockoffs. Not sure if your body shop told you these were the real ones or what but the ebay knockoffs are not well liked in the Z32 community, and there's a reason for that. They look quite different.

I guess I'll sign in on this one.

First thanks for the kind words reguarding my rear end.:redface:

"Awkward". This is what I struggled with as well. The rear sheet metal of the S30 (and S130 as well) is just not shaped like the rear of the Z32. I tried several interations, positioning the taillights for weeks before I gave up. They all just looked awkward, pasted on. In the end I cut the entire rear sheet metal off below the hatch and formed a new rear end around the taillights.

The trick for me was to start with the lights, get them straight and level, and make the rear end fit them. Not the other way around.

Sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear, especially after the body shop has jumped ahead of you (how often do you hear that?). Lot's of guys have asked me about this swap and I've discouraged everyone. It's a ton of work to make it look right. And if your paying a body man, a ton of money too.

I'm very happy with the end results. But knowing what I know now I wouldn't attempt it again.

I agree, if I could do it again, I think I would've left the tail lights alone, or slightly modify the factory ones. What happened to your progress pictures that were posted on here? They've been a red X for quite some time now.

I think it's an interesting idea, but it will look a million times better if you use real JDM Z32 tails instead of the cheap eBay knockoffs. Not sure if your body shop told you these were the real ones or what but the ebay knockoffs are not well liked in the Z32 community, and there's a reason for that. They look quite different.

What's the difference between the real JDM tails and the cheap knock-offs? I would imagine both still have the same curve to them.

What's the difference between the real JDM tails and the cheap knock-offs? I would imagine both still have the same curve to them.

I doubt anything is different with the curve of the lights, although some Z32 owners have experienced fitment issues with them it really doesn't matter in that respect when you're custom fabbing them in anyway.

I'm just referring to the visual appearance of them. No real way to describe it so I'll just show you pictures instead.

Real OEM Nissan Tails:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-300ZX-Z32-90-96-JDM-TAIL-LIGHTS-LAMP-NEW-99-JSPEC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem53dc9b57f3QQitemZ360183453683QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-NISSAN-300ZX-Z32-TAIL-LAMP-3PC-SET-TAIL-LIGHTS-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem483671f4b8QQitemZ310151083192QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

vs. the knockoff eBay copies

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-1996-Nissan-300ZX-JDM-Tail-Light-1991-1992-1993-94_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem53da5b19e9QQitemZ360145689065QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The real tails just have a better look to them in my opinion. Not trying to hate and be a jerk pointing out your cheap knockoffs but I'm just saying I think it would look better if you are willing to spend the money on the real ones and swap those in instead of the knockoff lights. I used to own a Z32 so I've seen people buy the knockoff lights a million times without realizing and then wondering why theirs look different.

Ah, I see now. I agree, I think the real JDM lights look better, but I don't know if I'm going to stick with the taillights...I think with the JDM lights it'd be like polishing a turd. I guess if someone wants to try to photoshop the JDM lights in there, be my guest.

... What happened to your progress pictures that were posted on here? They've been a red X for quite some time now.

That's been several years and a few computers ago. When I did the swap I had a Mac and a nice photo program. It was easy for an old guy like me. Now I've got PC's and no motivation to learn a new way of manipulating pictures. Eric over at Zparts.com has some pics of my car in progress but I can't find them anymore when I go there. Sorry. If you think I can be of help PM me and we can yak off-forum.

Here is a finished shot from John Washingtons site.

RRpainted.jpg

^^ You know I actually don't hate that. Not my personal style BUT as tail light swaps go it looks good, it's rare to stick a tail light where it doesn't belong and make it look good.

OP- keep going with your project. Even if it doesn't quite turn out as you originally planned you're this far in already and having a custom piece of work like that has a cool factor you can't even put a value on.

Dan, thanks for the offer - if the body guys run into a problem and I don't know how to handle it, I'll probably throw a PM your way.

Projected outcome:

300zxtailsprimerbumperhatch.jpg

I still need to rotate the bumper a little clockwise, and unfortunately paint doesn't have this feature. This is how I've been planning it - bumper stays silver, rear is black.

Cheesy mockup with the real JDM tails:

300zxjdmtails.jpg

I need to rotate the taillights a hair counter-clockwise.

Actually, 2 options:

a) I believe there are two bulbs in the top lens - running lamp and brake lamp. We were thinking about wiring the turn signals in with the brake lamp, so that would leave the bottom lens completely open to be used as a reverse light, or...

B) cutting an extra provision in the bottom light for a reverse bulb.