HybridZ

Jobs, Franchises, Employment. Help!

tfreer85

Okay, so as everyone knows the economy sucks right now. I've been job searching since January all over CA and even into Colorado some with no avail. This is a somewhat multi-layered question(s).

First, I've been looking at you tool delivery Franchise's (matco, snap-on, mac, etc.) or really any other franchise out there. I'm not looking for a career out of it, just something for 4-5 years allowing me to finish my Bachelors degree and support my wife's college. With all that being said does anyone out there have experience with these franchises? Finding Internet resources/reviews that are unbiased (not funded by said franchise) is very hard to do.

Additionally if anyone out there has a job opening, as either an apprenticeship, intern, or full time employee and would like to help a fellow Hybridz'er out please let me know and I'll send you a resume. I'm finishing up my AS Degree in Industrial Technology: Automotive focus.

Overall goals: Must make at least $15-20/hr to be able to support the household (living in Bakersfield, CA). I'd like for it to have it help future career placement in the Engineering field. Willing to relocate depending on what is available.

Thank you Hybridz, for your time, considerations, and opinions.

I feel your pain. I've been unemployed since september. I looked into bread routes. You might take a look at it. I could not pass the credit check because of the economy. I went for a ride with a guy for a day and it was cake. The only problem is it is all up to you. You work when you are sick unless you have someone part time it with you. Good luck.

jimbo

Try Dave Ramsey. I think you put both educations on hold until you find any job or jobs to live on. As you are willing to relocate, jobs are plentiful in other parts of the country. Franchises require you to put up money. Good luck!

Thanks guys for the input. I'll have to check into the bread routes. My wife only has a year left if she stays at a CSU vs. at least 2 if she transfers out of state. We've talked about and weighed the her full time vs finish school in a year and economically speaking in the long term its better her finish in one year and then allows me to do school closer to full time. Again thanks for the input and I'm checking out David Ramsey right now!

i was out of work a couple of years ago and ended up working in iraq as a contractor .i worked as a mechanic on military vehicles.i worked at ford dealers for years.after iraq the i got a job for a company as a factory service tech for street sweepers.unless you want to compete with illegal aliens forget about the auto repair business.since my job involves government it is slowing down-they arent buying new equipment.i might be headed back to the sandbox again.but i will probably never work on cars again-there isnt any money in it.fleet work on trucks and construction equipment pays much better.

i was out of work a couple of years ago and ended up working in iraq as a contractor .i worked as a mechanic on military vehicles.i worked at ford dealers for years.after iraq the i got a job for a company as a factory service tech for street sweepers.unless you want to compete with illegal aliens forget about the auto repair business.since my job involves government it is slowing down-they arent buying new equipment.i might be headed back to the sandbox again.but i will probably never work on cars again-there isnt any money in it.fleet work on trucks and construction equipment pays much better.

I know what you mean. Unfortunately I don't really have the skills to be an ASE mechanic, went through some classes but never got the certification. I'm just tired of looking at jobs, its constantly daunting, which isn't fun. Just kinda stuck without having a degree, but can't afford to go to school full time to get it. Quite the stuck in between situations. Oh well I suppose, thanks for the feedback guys.

The job situation really is bad right now. I've never had a problem getting a job, but now I can seem to buy one. I'm a little bit old and don't really want to move, but will if I must, I guess. The jobs I'm seeing doing the same work I had been doing are paying $10.00-$15.00 less per hour than what I was making when the company moved off shore the first of the year.

I considered going back to gunsmithing and darned if I didn't find an opening in a fair sized shop. When I called they said they'd pay $10-$15 per hour. I told the head hunter that they might get a young guy right out of trade school for that but I'm not hurting that bad yet.

I'd recommend you young guy's and girl's do all you can to stay in school and get the degree if at all possible. It will help although right now a lot of educated people are out of work too.

I wish you all luck getting through this mess.

Waddie

• 4 months later...