HybridZ

Buying a welder, need help and advice!

Avernier

i am buying a mig welder. i am looking for a 110-120v setup, 180amp or lower, relatively inexpensive, and i want it to run flux core wire rather than deal with the hassle of renting/refilling bottles. also, i'll be welding sheetmetal, thinwall tubing and other similar materials. the thickest stuff i will probably ever weld will be a roll cage, so keep in mind i won't need a rediculas setup. i'm looking at a lincoln 125amp welder right now at lowes for 419$ Lincoln is a reputable brand as far as i know, but i'm interested in what you guys have to suggest. to be honest, i'd rather not spend 419$ unless i'm getting alot for my money. thank you for the help,

Austin

i forgot to mention that although it may not make sense to you guys, I am not looking at buying a used welder. generally i have no issues with buying used tools and parts, but with the amount of money i'm looking at spending, i'd rather not risk getting a welder thats been abused, even though it works when i buy it, and may even look to be in nice shape. i want years of reliable service from this machine.

You may want to rethink your choice of going with only flux-core. If you are going to be welding sheetmetal you will have a really hard time with flux-core (depending on the sheetmetal gauge obviously) since it gets a lot hot (thus the ability to weld thicker metals with flux-core). Plus your welds will be so much better if you go with gas, at least mine were/are.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Lincoln 130 amp that I pick up used for $150...... yeah, I know, I stole it!

But I have a friend who has a Clarke that I used for years before I bought mine. It worked flawless. We used Lincoln in school and I had more problems out of them then I did with the Clarke. Never had any feeding issues, I was really impressed with it considering its kinda an off brand.

Hope this helps.

I have welded both on a lincoln and miller. Miller all the way! With the lincoln you only get heat ranges like ABCD.. so if A is to cold you have to switch to B.. and B could be too hot.. With a miller the heat ranges are a rheostat and you can make tiny adjustments. You will pay more for the Miller but you wont regret it. Also heard Hobart welders are great. I think they use Miller internals.

both miller and lincoln make continuous voltage change machines. as they both also make step voltage adjustment machines. The completely variable machines just cost more. Check around for a welding supply shop in your area or on line. Home Depot and Lowes don't sell the high end machines. I have a preference for Miller simply because I have used their equipment and always worked fine. I now have a Lincoln that I bought off Craig's list for $200. Got the bottle for $80 filled. If you don't have a large budget depends on how much welding you are thinking of doing. Best Rig is continuously variable voltage with gas. I opted for the step voltage simply because I didn't have the money for a new rig. So far all the welding I have done has worked fine. You need to know what is the thickest material you will be welding so that you have sufficient amps to do a good job.

I have a little 110v mig welder that I think cost about $200 from harbor freight. I was an absolute beginner and only knew the basic concepts and knew I needed a mask. Too bad I didnt know I should have paid more for one that covers the neck too.. ouch..

It was pretty easy to jump into and start welding. Didnt take long till I was making statues out of old exhaust clamps. :D