HybridZ

I have seen Godzilla, and he is.....AWESOME!

Tony D

I was in Japan when the first R32 GT-R came out. I made the drive down to the Naha Prince Dealer to see the only GT-R on display on Okinawa. It was already sold to someone on the mainland, so it was display only, take your number, wait for delivery... Much like when I was home on leave and saw my first Buick Gran National, I thought "This is a decent family car I would own."

I left Japan late in 1989, just as word came of the GT-R being entered in rally and other races in Australia. When it won the Bathurst 1000 they called it "Godzilla" for the dominating way it ate up the V-8 competition.

I still have that article on the wall in my shed, xeroxed in B&W. It sits next to the framed Inglese Manifold Ad in B&W 'Manifold Destiny'...

Today, walking the paddock of Eastern Creek Raceway, NSW, I came across a car. It looked like, no it couldn't be...but there was the Sandwich Board declaring this was, INDEED the original Godzilla that won the Bathurst 1000km. I was agog, slackjawed and speechless. Along with two other GT-R's of lesser provenance.

Then it was gone. Gone to the track. And I watched Godzilla rampage. And he was AWESOME!

It was a good day down under. I never thought I would see the all-conquering Godzilla GT-R at a 'Muscle Car Extravaganza' old timers event. But there it was, 1/2 a lap ahead before the first lap was over. Coming down the front straight screaming and spitting flame making a noise, I thought, which sounded eerily akin to a trademarked and registered Toho Films special sound effect.

It rampages the competition like a monster let loose.

It spits flames.

It makes eerie roaring noises of a pitch not natural to the V-8 loving crowd. A sound that made their blood run cold...

There it was, Godzilla, coming to eat you!

So they BANNED him. But Godzilla Races on.

You can not kill Godzilla. Godzilla lives on!

:burnout:

The thing is Godzilla is not just singular, he is many, his derivatives live on and still cause havoc in all forms of Oz motorsport, not just against the V8's either. Think expensive Euro ;)

For example there are R32/33/34 track cars in all states of tune, two wheel as well as four wheel drive. A R32 GTST was out at the track the other day, a road registered Targa Tasmania car which went faster than any two wheel drive two liter notch back coupe has a right to

PS My excuse, Z was injured, still :(